Cash has been splashed to handle the mess of stress

Exeter Uni to help understand stress and its effects upon memory

| UPDATED Research Stress

The Biotechnology and Biosciences Research Council has splashed a hefty £758,000 on funding for the study to take place at Exeter and Bristol Universities.

Led by Professor Hans Reul, Professional Research Fellow at the University of Bristol, researchers from both universities will attempt to discover how the brain processes stress and creates memories of psychologically stressful events.

At present, how the brain adapts to and learns from stressful events (such as losing all your possessions after a particularly heavy night at Timepiece) is a mystery to scientists and students alike.

The study will look at the role that molecular processes known as ‘epigenetic modifications’ (no, we don’t know what that means either) play in the regulation of expression of particular genes.

Professor Reul said, “Insight into these processes and the function of the genes involved will help to develop new ways to reduce the burden of stress-related disorders in humans and animals.”

We’d be particularly grateful if such stress-reducing research could be completed by the time our next deadlines come around.