Four Fashion Faux Pas to Avoid in 2013

Maya Mills warns you off the fashion crimes for the year ahead.

| UPDATED fashion maya mills new year

The year changes, the month changes, and with it changes the tone of our tweets and statuses. Gone are the endless posts of prosperity and instead our Newsfeeds are clogged with hung-over complaints and empty New Year’s Resolutions.

However, there are some resolutions that should never be broken and if you’re struggling for ideas to revamp your 2013, most of us will fall culprit to at least one of these fatal fashion taboos that we would do well to avoid in the New Year…

Double Denim

It’s no lie that when the Denim Shirt was reintegrated into popular male fashion (mainly thanks to Topman) it was the new and edgy thing to wear…with coloured chinos. It was different and it was hipster. Then came the guys who weren’t so great at dressing inventively…and then came the double denim.

To make it worse they clearly bought their denim jeans at Topman too, which saw an increase in elasticated bottomed jeans. These together with a denim shirt create the effect of a denim-clad Michelin Man…that Topman chundered on. Don’t do it guys, not then, not now, and definitely not in 2013.

Great shirt… even better Photoshop skills

Dip-dyed Hair…for the not so individual

Following the edgy trend introduced us to Ellie Goulding and her dip-dyed hair. Always one to have alternative hairstyles (I refer to her half-shaven head seen this time last year), Miss Goulding yet again set a trend for all her ‘alternative’ fans to follow.

However, what these fans failed to see is that by all dying the ends of their hair an obnoxious blue or pink, their style would no longer be different.

This aside, from an opinionated lover of appearance and fashion, I cannot help but quote the infamous of words of Wham!; “if you’re gonna do it, do it right”…right?! If you’re going to dye your hair blue, then dye the whole of your head.

Student budgeting can stretch to two bottles of blue hair dye if you are so inclined. But for the sake of your reputation and the maintenance of your relationships in 2013, I recommend you stay well away from both!

The Rolled-Up T-Shirt

Oh, nice t-shirt! Oh wait, it’s a vest! Oh wait, you’ve just rolled up the little sleeves of your very little t-shirt… why?! You wouldn’t roll up the legs of a pair of very little shorts, would you?! If you did, your guy mates might start to think of you…differently.

This phenomenon seems to appeal to a certain calibre of men, the more tanned, more muscular, more “if-they-were-chocolate-they-would-eat-themselves” type of calibre. By all means continue with your bicep curls in 2013, but maybe opt for a bigger size of t-shirt with the sleeves worn as they should be!

The Over-Branded Man

There’s subtly rah, and then there’s over branding. Numerous times have I been innocently walking through the Forum when a conceited outfit screams at me “Mummy covered me in blue and pink stripes for Christmas, LOOK!”

Don’t get me wrong, I have a few Jack Wills items in my wardrobe, but never once have I thought of wearing them all at once, together with a pair of Hunters and quilted Barbour.

For 2013, a resounding “less is more” should be engrained into anyone who cannot part from their Superdry jacket whilst wearing their Lacoste trainers.