Exeter uni guide

University of Exeter

^^^this header won’t be here^^^

Contents:

(this will be navigable)

-Overview
-Who goes there?
-The town
-The uni
-Going out
-Extra-curricular
-What do employers think
-First-year accommodation – catered halls
-First-year accommodation – self-catered halls
-After first-year – where to live in Exeter
-The downsides

Overview

You didn’t dazzle the interview panel at Oxbridge, but so what? It’s not going to ruin your life, and who knows, maybe you were fated to go somewhere more fun anyway. Somewhere like…Exeter. Skim off a few fingers of Oxford’s credibility and prospects and top up the glass with dense posh blonde kids and cider, and you’ll come up with Exeter. It might not have the clubbing scene of Bristol or the entrenched aristocracy of St Andrews – but that doesn’t have to be a bad thing. Along with being the regional capital, Exeter is a raucous, bolshy student city to the core – and if you happen to be from the south-east of England, something tells me you’ll fit right in. So don your gilet and bomb down the A303 – it’s going to be a loose three years and you won’t regret a second of it.

Who goes there?

Posed by models

Often referred to as Devon’s best finishing school, Exeter is primarily host to a bevy of privately schooled leggy white girls who look like they’ve strolled off the set of a L’Oreal advert. The boys are your eclectic mix of Hugos and Xanders who play lacrosse and wear shorts and flip-flops year round. Throw in a liberal dose of confused internationals from South-East Asia, airlifted in to counter Emma Thompson’s claims that ‘Exeter is very white and middle class and needs to be cracked open a bit’, and you’ve pretty much got the extent of Exeter’s ‘melting pot’.

The town

High Street

Exeter is the cultural capital of the south-west – but that’s really not saying much when you’ve only got Plymouth to measure up to. If you tell your aunt you’re going to Exeter, chances are she’ll say “oh, they’ve got a lovely cathedral down there”. She’s not wrong – the seat of the Bishop of Exeter dominates the city centre and pre-dates the Norman conquest – but who’s coming to uni to find salvation?

The Cathedral

Originally a Roman settlement, Exeter took a proper battering from the Luftwaffe in the Second World War. Its underground passages where citizens took refuge are worth a visit if you need a way to spend a hungover Saturday afternoon. Thanks to the bombing, the city centre is as identikit they come – even to the point that it’s won awards for being Britain’s top “clone town”. In reality though, this means you can buy pretty much whatever you need on the High Street. Off the High Street though, Exeter does have its hidden charms. Gandy Street – JK Rowling’s inspiration for Diagon Alley in the Harry Potter books – has a pretty collection of boutique shops and wine bars. The Cathedral Green is also very picturesque, and is home to a number of high-end restaurants and The Ship Inn – formerly Sir Francis Drake’s haunt.

Gandy Street

The city is bisected by the River Exe, with the city centre, university and nearly everything of interest on its east side. The west-side has a bowling alley. Beyond that it might as well be Mordor. You will not go there. As a result, you won’t find yourself using public transport much – it’s a 10 minute walk from the city to the uni. Admittedly it’s pretty hilly, what with being in a valley – but let’s be honest, you could use the exercise considering how fattening cider is. You may however find yourself on a train if you fancy a trip down to Exmouth in the summer – it’s a very pretty seaside town nearby, or if you and your mates want to tackle the Topsham Ten – a pub crawl around Topsham’s nine pubs, with The Imperial by Exeter St Davids thrown in for good measure.

The waterfront at Topsham

In terms of the surrounding area, owning a car is very useful – and thanks to the number of middle-class people at Exeter, chances are they’ll be at least one on your corridor. Then you can take a drive down to North Devon and Cornwall’s beaches for a day’s surfing, go cliff-jumping at Spitchwick or head east to Ottery St Mary on November 5th for the notorious Tar Barrels (it involves burly Devonians and flaming barrels of tar – not one to be missed.)

The tar barrels

Relations with the locals can at times be strained – if you live next door to them, chances are they won’t like you unless you’re docile and polite. They dominate the city’s nightclubs on Saturday nights, so it’s best to either head to the student night at the Lemmy or hope that one of your friends is hosting a house party. There is however something wonderfully warm and welcoming about a Devonian accent, so if you want to imagine you live in a Thomas Hardy novel, get stuck in. Broadly speaking, Exeter is a very safe city, particularly the student areas. One of the main reasons is because the university and student culture is so prominent – a quarter of the city’s population attend or work at the university. As a result, the ‘Exeter bubble’ is a unique phenomenon – you’ll operate almost solely within a square mile radius and it’ll feel like you know everyone you walk past.

The uni

Considering Exeter’s reputation among academics and employers, you’d be surprised to find that the uni is probably younger than your grandad – it only got Royal Charter status in 1955. Exeter has loitered around the top 10 of both Sunday Times and Guardian’s uni rankings for the last decade or so – thanks largely, according to vice-chancellor Steve Smith, to “breaking eggs”, or getting rid of “one in seven academic staff” and closing chemistry. This ruthless approach to the worst performing departments has however given a new lease of life to the strongest subjects.

Amory, home to many Humanities and Social Sciences

Humanities are the uni’s real powerhouses – the History department in particular packs a punch, as does English, which offers a literature-heavy programme. Classics is a further strong point, which is hardly surprising considering the seeming omnipresence of the privately educated. The Business School is also top class – and densely populated with international students.

The Business School

On the science side, Psychology here offers a healthy mix of low contact hours and high repute, and the Engineering and Maths boast excellent track records. Away from Streatham campus, the Sports Science course at St Luke’s is among the best three in the country, while the Medical School at Peninsula is also well thought of. Both Lukes and Peninsula have magnificently insular sub-communities entrenched around them, which we’re told it’s a delight to be a part of. Most of the courses at Exeter adopt a teaching structure divided between lectures and smaller seminars (with time in labs for the sciences, naturally). On the one hand, this might make your learning experience rather impersonal – on the other, it makes it very easy to conceal your hangover in the crowd, or not show up at all.

The Forum

They say you’ve got to spend money to make money, and Exeter have made it rain: the £48 million Forum building was opened by the Queen in 2012 and acts as the centrepiece of the campus, with a state-of-the-art library, some slick new seminar rooms and a student shop that looks like the duty-free section of Gatwick Airport.

Boarding at Gate 12…

And the spending hasn’t stopped, with £30 million more of the Sharjah Emirate’s money funding a Living Sciences Institute. The upshot of this of course is that there seems to be near-constant building work taking place on campus, which has proved disruptive to both revisers in the library and residents of the surrounding halls of residence. But if it benefits the students who’ll go to Exeter once you’ve left, it’s worth it from your perspective, right? For most of the prestigious subjects, anticipate an offer of around A*AA or AAA (that’s 36-40 for IB). Unlike some of the other top unis, Exeter does give out places through clearing. Which is nice of them. Lower offers are made for some of the less popular subjects. And if you apply once you’ve got your results, some departments won’t necessarily turn their nose up at your three Bs. Oh, apparently there’s a campus in Cornwall somewhere that you can get into if you fuck up your A Levels. Don’t know why you’d bother, but I thought I’d mention it just to cover all bases.

Going out

If you like an early bedtime and nightclubs where you know every punter by name, you’ll probably take to Exeter’s nightlife like a duck to water. If you’re coming from a bigger city with a vibrant clubbing scene like Brighton or Manchester, lower your expectations immediately. The clubs close at 2.30am here, hence the ‘postlash’ culture that permeates much of Pennsylvania.

The Arena dancefloor

For your bog-standard Luminar-run student night, head to Summerland Street’s Arena on a Monday, Tuesday or Thursday. The capacity is around 500, the drinks deals are as reasonable as they come, and the chart bullshit that the 40-year-old DJs pump out is just about enough to put you off the lingering smell of…I don’t know what it is. A bevy of fast food outlets are a short stumble away on Sidwell Street.

“Mozzers”

At the other end of the High Street sits Mosaic, which somehow entices a higher-end class of student – the drinks cost basically the same. When you’re not queuing outside or to get upstairs, rub shoulders with boys in Barbour jackets and brown shoes and girls called Arabella who won’t talk to you unless they know your surname. To paraphrase Hunter S Thompson, this is what the whole hep world would be doing on Monday and Thursday nights if the Nazis had won the war.

TP – home to Exeter’s best smoking area

If wearing cider as aftershave and drinking your own piss is more your thing, give Timepiece a whirl. Exeter’s biggest club is the enclave of your uni sportsmen and women. It’s hard to tell what music they play, as it’s largely drowned out by jeers of “see it off” or “no EG” (learn what this is). Often referred to as the third easiest club to pull in in the country (source remains unknown), TP does have some redeeming features; Old Timers is a quaint pub with a good ale selection, the outside ground floor area is a great place to share an £8 bottle of wine with friends or lovers, and Hole In The Wall is one of the best places to watch sport (when it’s not on fire that is). Head down on Wednesday or Friday for organised chaos.

2014’s Hijacked Festival

In the year to come, Exeter’s nightlife is sure to be defined by what it isn’t rather than what it is – and that’s largely thanks to the closure of Cellar Door. The 200-person underground club hosted Exeter’s coolest student night, Thick As Thieves, who booked in some of the best names in dance music (think Duke Dumont and Bondax) and always brought the house down. Now that Exeter’s underground scene are living a nomadic existence, keep an eye out for TaT nights popping up at places like Cavern and the Phoenix (both around Gandy Street), pray you can get a seat on one of their mind-blowing boat parties in Exmouth, and whatever you do, get a ticket for May’s Hijacked Festival.

The Lemmy. It’s as good as it looks

If Exeter University is the furthest you’ve ever been from your mother’s tit, the Lemmy on the Saturday is right up your street. Cheap drinks, cheaper music and free water from the Evangelical Christian Union. Make sure you’re tucked in by the time the Baywatch theme plays.

The Vaults

As far as Exeter’s LGBT scene goes, there is one gay pub. It’s called The Vaults and it’s on Gandy Street. Pints are quite pricey, but it’s more or less the hub of the scene. Tuesdays are well spoken of.

The Impy

In addition to the clubs, Exeter is home to a wealth of pubs and bars. The Victoria Inn (or Vic) is the archetypal student pub – the one where you’ll meet your mates in second year before your evening descends into mayhem. The Ram, the SU pub, offers moderately cheap pints and decent food. This is where you’ll have your first drink after exams. There’s an inordinate amount of Wetherspoons in Exeter – the best of which is by far The Imperial, which sits between St Davids station and campus. An all-day drinking session here in the sun is a must.

Extra-curricular

Exeter has invested massively in its already respectable athletic union. The recent completion of an £8 million redevelopment of the Sports Park has given the uni’s hockey teams a new home. Yes, sports teams are expensive to join – around £200 a year – but by golly some of them ain’t half good. The men’s hockey first team compete in the National Conference West, but have been known to dip in and out of the Premier Division in recent years, making them hockey’s equivalent of Reading FC.

Our BUCS-winning women’s rugby side

The rugby union sides of both genders also regularly dominate the BUCS tables. The uni gym has also undergone a recent revamp and is well-stocked and frequently packed – again however, you’ll find yourself breaking the bank to pay the membership fee. A lot of people will join lacrosse in first year. Don’t feel like you have to be one of them if you’re not mad on braying twats who struggle with authority too much to cope with the trials of a rugby club. But if you want to join a sports club for the girls, you’ve come to the right place.

Beats and Bass’ summer party

Outside the realms of sport, Exeter’s Guild has a lot to offer in terms of societies. Arts and culture are a particular strong point: EUTCo, Shotgun and Theatre With Teeth all put on regular shows, the newly formed Exeter Revue have been sensational and as far as music goes, joining Beats and Bass will change your life. There are also numerous political societies for each of the major parties who no-one really pays much notice to unless you’re in one, various subject-oriented societies, FemSoc and many more.

RIP print

As far as student media goes, Exeter has a student paper, Exeposé, a TV station, XTV and a radio station, Xpressions FM. These are best ignored – if you’re interested in media and you fancy joining us in the 21st Century, email [email protected]

What do employers think

Throughout your time at Exeter, the uni will put on ‘mandatory’ employability lectures that you needn’t attend – bag a 2.1 from here and you’ll be sorted as far as the world of work is concerned. Be careful, however, to make sure you fill your CV with a lot of extra-curricular ‘colour’ so that you stand out from the crowd. A leading industry expert said “Exeter is probably viewed better than Manchester or Nottingham, but not quite as well as say, Bristol or Durham. The problem you might face as an Exeter graduate is that employers have this perception that everyone at Exeter comes out with a 2.1. They’ll see Exeter and think “sure they’re bright, but they probably went to public school. How hard will they actually WORK?”

First-year accommodation – catered halls

Birks Grange Village

360 one-person rooms – en suite – double beds – 32 week contract (you have to move out over Easter) – £6,489.28p/a Birks Grange offers a great close-knit community at the far western reaches of campus, further from the town centre than other halls. Your friends here will be your friends for at least the next three years, if not your life. It’s only a ten minute walk to campus – but that walk takes you over the dreaded Cardiac Hill. Pack an inhaler.

Exeter Halls

Penny C

Pennsylvania Court – 177 one-person en suite rooms w/ double beds – 32 week contract – £6666.24p/a

Lopes

Ransom Pickard

Ransom Pickard and Lopes – 67 one-person rooms and 54 two-person rooms w/ single beds – shared facilities – 32 week contract £5109.44p/a one-person, £4744.32p/a two-person Widely viewed as the best halls location-wise, Exeter Halls are ideally situated five minutes from campus and ten minutes from town. Pennsylvania Court has all the facilities of Holland and none of the stigma, while eating together with 300 or so students ensures fun-filled meal times for all (except the resident tutors, who are traditionally strict). Radiohead’s Thom Yorke was in Exeter Halls as a student, but don’t let that put you off. With three applications per room though, these halls are massively oversubscribed. Get in if you can.

Holland Hall

360 rooms – one-person en suite rooms w/double beds – 32 week contract – £6,666.24p/a, £6,988.80p/a “with a view” (yes really) There are almost too many pros to Holland to count: the views of the Exe Valley are stunning, the facilities are deluxe to say the least, the dining hall food is second to none and chances are you’ll get on really well with everyone else in Holland. And that’s the problem: everyone from outside Holland will assume that you’re a posh dick for living there. You’ll find yourself ostracised in seminars, slated in nightclubs. Live there by all means, but for heaven’s sake keep quiet about it.

Mardon Hall

48 one-person rooms, 29 two-person rooms, shared facilities – 32 week contract – £5,109.44p/a one-person, £4,744.32p/a two-person Now the oldest halls on campus, Mardon has most of the perks of Holland and fewer drawbacks: you share your dining halls with them so get all their posh food, the rooms are all pretty decent and you’re still spitting distance from lectures and the gym. Then there’s the added perk that no-one will resent you for living there. A safe bet.

First-year accommodation – self-catered halls

Duryard

194 one-person en suite rooms in flats of nine – 40 week contract – £5,336.80p/a The new kids on the block in the Exeter accommodation game, Duryard merits a mention primarily so you’ll know how far away it is when someone tries to convince you to go back there. It’s so far north of campus, you might as well commute to lectures from Barnstaple. They must have really close friendship groups up there, considering the forced bonding that will occur on a 20-minute walk to campus and a 40-minute stroll into town. I mean, fucking hell.

James Owen Court

275 one-person rooms in flats of three to eight – 40 week contract – £5,336.80p/a James Owen Court sits on the roundabout where Sidwell Street meets Old Tiverton Road and Blackboy Road. Yes, there is a road called Blackboy Road in 2014. That’s pretty the most interesting thing about JOC – it’s very near Arena and the football stadium and is much more convenient for town than it is for uni.

Lafrowda

355 one-person standard rooms, facilities shared 1:4, 816 one-person en suite rooms in flats of up to eight – 40 week contract – £4,093.60p/a standard, £5,387.20p/a en suite Rising from the ashes of Old Lafrowda – the 70s concrete bloc that was rumoured to share architectural plans with a Swedish prison – the latest release from the Lafrowda imprint has a much fresher feel than its predecessor. Due largely to how brand spanking new it is, Lafrowda has steadily shirked its reputation as “the shit halls”. It’s still significantly cheaper than many of its counterparts. Head here if you like salt-of-the-earth type folk.

Rowancroft

187 one-person en suite rooms in flats of five to eight – 42 week contract – £5,403.72p/a The only – and I mean ONLY – reason to apply for any of the Rowancroft halls is if you’re going to be a medic or a Lukey (that’s to stay, study on St Luke’s campus). Otherwise do not bother – it’s miles (1.8 to be exact) away from Streatham campus (or “main-site” as the Lukeys call it). If you are going to be a medic or a Lukey though, this is the place for you. Make it your own.

Rowe & St Germans

Rowe House

Rowe House – 139 one-person en suite rooms in flats of seven – 40 week contract – £5,387.20

St Germans

St Germans – 144 one-person en suite in flats of six – 40 week contract – £5,387.20 Rowe and St Germans are perhaps the best situated of the self-catered halls, sandwiched between Exeter Halls and Lafrowda. The flats are small enough that you’ll get to know all of your flatmates really well, but open enough that you’ll be able to socialise with your whole block. The best parts of catered halls paired with the independence of being able to cook your own food. There are other self-catered halls which are either too far out to mention meriting or too close to the others to justify their own description. Also, there are other halls of residence not operated by the university. Avoid like the plague.

After first-year – where to live in Exeter

Anyone studying on Exeter’s main campus should be gunning for a house in the red area. “Vic Street” (1) is the jugular of student living in second and third year, with Springfield Road (2) a close second and marginally quieter alternative.

Victoria Street

There are a number of large student houses on Pennsylvania Road/Longbrook Street (3) which are ideal for big groups of mates in second year. Anywhere within five minutes’ stroll of Pennsylvania Road Co-op (4) is a good shout – you’ll bump more people you in this shop than you will at your 21st.

Pennsylvania Road

A slightly less expensive but nonetheless worthwhile area to try is around Howell Road (5) and the roads off it, Danes Road and Hoopern Street.

Heavitree Road

Lukeys should try for a house in the blue area – as should any “jifs” (what Lukeys call those from mainsite) who want to save a few pounds and walk further. Mount Pleasant (6) is home to some of the cheapest student rents in Exeter, with some up to half the price of those in the red zone. Houses on Monks Road and Pinhoe Road (7) are especially cheap – as well as being a good 45 minutes from Streatham campus. The prime real estate for Lukeys are the houses further along Heavitree Road (8) from the college itself.

Powderham Crescent – don’t even try and have a house party around here

One more nugget of wisdom: house parties. They’re excellent, but the University are very keen to “maintain good relations with their neighbours”. This means that if you have one at the wrong time and don’t take the right sound-proofing precautions, you’ll get a call from Estate Patrol and a disciplinary meeting. We’re not saying don’t do it – do, and invite us. But when you do, be smart about it. There are a number of residents’ associations around Pennsylvania and St James who will ruin your time at uni if you let them.

The downsides

Yes mate

The stereotype of an Exeter student – white, middle-class, from the south-east of England – is largely accurate. If that isn’t you, don’t be surprised if you find yourself feeling alienated at times – the Daily Mail-sympathising, BBC English drawling, future Clapham inhabitants dominate Exeter student culture.

No more

And if you’re hoping that because Exeter’s a city, it’ll be as good a night out as Bristol or Leeds, you’ll be disappointed: Cellar Door going under could well set the city’s nightlife back a good twenty years. It’s also not the easiest place in the country to get to: the only motorway comes from the north of England (and as I’ve made clear, NO-ONE comes to Exeter from the north of England) and it’s rare to go a journey on the A303 without getting stuck behind the traffic.

Those are literally the only bad bits

If you can get over all that, then come on down. You’ll soon find that the south-west is the best.