What’s On: January

The Tab picks out the best of what’s on this month as you get back to uni.

Theatre

Copacabana 23–26 Jan

You’ve seen the posters on the back of every toilet door on campus, and found yourself humming along to the joyful melody of ‘Copacabana’, much to the delight of your friends. Footlight’s play centres on a struggling writer trying to compose a musical about ‘Lola’ who works at the infamous nightclub .

It includes Barry Manilow’s hit songs such as Ay Caramba!, is based on the original tv-musical and is written by no other than Manilow himself. The Tab can hardly think of a better way to spend a January evening.

From Devon With Love 14–28 Jan

We love Devon with its romantic hills and perpetual wetness, and so do the Bike Shed Theatre. This mini-festival is a platform for emerging talent courtesy of the Bike Shed, who are fast becoming nationally known for nurturing innovative theatre companies.

Choose from puppetry, comedy, poetry and theatre (have a look here) but just make sure you see EUTCO’s brilliant ‘Scarborough’ on the 15th if you missed it last term. When’s its only £7 for two nights (or £5 for a single performance) you should really make the most of it.

Comedy

Exeter’s Laugh out Loud Comedy Festival 12 Jan–10 Feb

If January is a just a taste of what the Exeter culture scene has in store for the rest of 2013, then we’re going to have to do some serious, strategic budgeting. The Exeter LOL festival is spread across all the top venues in Exeter and has a huge scope of acts.

Researching the line up, The Tab were delighted at how many up and coming names from the national comedy circuit were present. Particularly, Tony Law who was nominated for the prestigious Best Comedy Show award at the Edinburgh Comedy Festival, Sarah Pascoe and Josh Widecombe both of whom you’ve probably seen on BBC’s Live at the Apollo.

Misc.

Crikey! It’s Vintage starts 17 Jan

Good move from the University here, teaming up with Crikey! It’s Vintage to provide us with low-priced, stylish garbs.  Fortunately, there will be a series of these vintage fairs at Devonshire House over the term which means you’ll frequently have the chance to do a bit of last minute present buying in between your lectures, or browse for your new spring/summer wardrobe.