Over £150,000 boost for autism research

Exeter academics to help solve puzzle of increase in autism diagnoses.

| UPDATED £150 000 autism

Over £150,000 has been given to a University of Exeter Medical School research team to investigate a possible increase in children diagnosed with autism, dyslexia and attention deficit disorder.

The money was given by the Economic and Social Research Council due to a reported rise in the diagnosis of these conditions. Data from the Department of Education showed that the last five years has seen an increase in the number of children with autism by 56 per cent.

The study aims to examine whether there is a genuine increase in the number of children with these conditions, or whether the figures are a result of improved identification and diagnosis. It will also investigate how far children share symptoms of the three conditions, and whether boys are more likely to be diagnosed than girls with the same symptoms.

Dr Ginny Russell, principal investigator on the study, said: “Ascertaining whether or not there is an actual increase in the incidences of such conditions will help us to establish whether we should intensify the search for environmental triggers.

“The project also has implications for diagnosis and recognition within health services.”