What You Should Expect From Spring Term

Sam Silver briefs you on how you’ll be behaving in the coming twelve weeks.

With your first week of lectures just around the corner, The Tab gives you the heads up on what to expect from your second term.

Prepare to spend your entire student loan on Post-Xmas sales.

If anyone’s like me, the perfect solution to a boring weekend at uni is to take yet another pointless trip into town, with the possibility of treating yourself to a £3.89 McDonalds extra-value meal – with a free cheeseburger, naturally.

However, with every trip into town, your eyes will no doubt light up at the huge red sign advertising “25% off all items” in your favourite store “Republic,” or you’ll find yourself persuaded into buying a £90 pair of Nike Air Max’s from Office at a drastically reduced price. Soon enough, you’ll be back into your overdraft after blowing your entire student loan on the January sales. Just stick to Maccy Ds.

Prepare to give up your New Year’s resolutions by Week 2.

Planning on going to the gym three times a week this year to make up for the measly efforts of last term? Maybe promising to do the recommended reading as opposed to just the compulsory?

Soon enough you’ll find any excuse to break from these resolutions, deluding yourself into thinking that these excuses are actually valid reasons. Maybe it’s too rainy or cold to walk to the gym, and you postpone it until the next day, only to postpone it again and again.

Or maybe a 2:1 in your recent essay means you can rest for the week and not worry about the recommended reading, and then repeat this feat the following week. Either way, the majority of New Year’s resolutions will be rejected before the Xmas decorations are stashed in the attic.

Prepare to attend even fewer 9ams than last term.

Despite this maybe also being one of your resolutions, the lecture theatres at 9am will be as empty as Arsenal’s trophy cabinet. Waking up at eight in the sub-zero January/February temperatures is an entirely different prospect to the 8am refreshing autumnal breeze of September, and one look out into the still dark conditions outside will make up your mind to stay in the warmth of your own bed.

Don’t worry though, you’ll probably be able to persuade yourself again that the lecture isn’t THAT important, or that your recent 2:1 in your essay allows you to miss this particular lecture as a reward anyway…

Prepare to ignore the majority of societies you signed up for.

You probably signed up to various societies you didn’t even previously know existed in a frantic attempt to maximise involvement in uni lifestyle and meet loads of new people.

After achieving this in first term, or realising that it isn’t necessary to join every single society in order to have a fantastic social life, be prepared to lose any sense of involvement with the majority of these societies.

If anything, the constant notifications and incessant emails will actually be a nuisance to you, and you’ll most likely be regretting the day you signed up to 20 different societies for a total fee of in excess of £200. Another explanation for finding yourself deep into your overdraft. Just stick to McDonalds.

Now like The Tab on facebook and follow us on Twitter.