Keep Calm and Make Art

3d Machine on Campus makes art!

| UPDATED 3D Art

Specialist equipment developed here at the University of Exeter has been used to create some of the most unique art currently exhibited.

The University Centre for Additive Layer Manufacturing (CALM) specializes in 3D printers, which build objects by layers. The University invited 30 professional artists to test exactly what the £2.6 million machines were capable of.

After an open day help for businesses, staff from Exeter Phoenix were intrigued by the machine’s creations and its commercial value. Soon a workshop was developed for interested artists and some of the best art will be displayed in the new exhibit ‘Neoreplicants’.

The Phoenix exhibit will be open to the public from the 16 November 2012 to the 19 January 2013. Some of the pieces range from representations of the artists’ blood cells to architectural structures, made using computer aided design, medical imagine and lasers.

If you’re new years resolution is to get cultured then take a look at www.exeter.ac.uk/CALM and head down to the exhibit when you get back to Exeter!