Indie Picturehouse Gobbled up by Cineworld

Student favourite Picturehouse cinema to be taken over by Cineworld

| UPDATED Cineworld Films Picturehouse

Exeter’s oh-so indie Picturehouse cinema has been bought by Cineworld, as part of a nationwide take over.

The cinema, located on Bartholomew Street West, has been a student favourite for providing customers with the enjoyable alternative of wine and cake to the usual stale popcorn and watery coke normally on offer at most venues. The diverse and unusual range of films screened at Picturehouse is another reason why the Cinema holds a special place in Exeter’s film buff’s hearts.

The Picturehouse chain currently owns 21 arthouse cinemas across the country. Despite the takeover, cinema bosses have promised that these screens will not change.

Founder and director of the company, Lyn Goleby, stated, “the Picturehouse cinemas, and all that we stand for, will remain as before and will operate as a standalone division of Cineworld.” She will continue to remain as the managing director of the company, despite its integration into a larger chain.

James Beale, a second-year student, said, “Cineworld seems like a bit of a mainstream company so I just hope that they won’t ruin the Picturehouse. I love being able to go somewhere comfortable to see a decent film.”

Picturehouse reported a pre-tax profit of £2.5m last year, and this success is something that Cineworld seem keen to build on.

Stephen Wiener, Chief Executive of Cineworld, said, “We recognise that Picturehouse is valued by its customers and we look forward to supporting the business through the next phase of its development.”