No hope for exeter students

Hope Hall and Lazenby are set to be converted into office space for staff, according to new university proposals.

Hope Hall and Lazenby currently provide housing for 69 students in a mix of en suite, twin and standard rooms but the university is aiming to convert the centrally located site into offices by the start of the 2013/2014 academic year.

Enjoy it while you can

The university defended the decision.  The Director of Campus Services, Geoff Pringle, told Exepose, “The conversion of Hope Hall and Lazenby from halls of residence to office space marks the next phase of the buildings’ lives.”

The accommodation of more academic staff is a crucial part of the university’s long-term fundraising initiative. It is not yet clear whether the new space will be used permanently by staff or simply as a stopgap whilst older buildings are refurbished.

The nail in the coffin of Hope Hall and Lazenby appears to be a fall in demand for catered rooms amongst students with many shunning hot meals in favour of the authentic student experience.