Students protest ‘ableist’ AtoS career stand

Forum the venue for demonstration against IT services firm.

Students protested in the Forum today against the presence of a careers stand for AtoS, the IT services company.

The French IT consultancy firm has been the subject of media and Parliamentary scrutiny regarding its handling of disability benefit assessments.

The firm was contracted by the Department of Work and Pensions to assess the health of those currently claiming disability benefits.

Outrage followed as it emerged more than half disability claimants judged ‘fit to work’ by AtoS were unable to find jobs.

Four days after the tree was erected, it’s joined by a protest banner. Merry Christmas Exeter!

Estate Patrol are currently monitoring the Forum to ensure that the protest remains peaceful.

Activist Quen Took said: “Not only are [AtoS] killing people, they’ve co-opted Disability Remembrance Day. That just adds insult to injury. They’re a private contractor who operate on commission. It’s ableist that they’re allowed on campus.”

Today is the International Day of Persons with Disabilities. The day was created by World Vision ‘to promote an understanding of disability issues and mobilise support for the dignity, rights and well-being of persons with disabilities.’

The staff on the AtoS stand declined to comment.