Hockey Boys Cross Sticks for Charity

Adam Lax’s hypes up EUMHC’s upcoming 4s v 5s charity match.

This Wednesday 21 November, the Men’s Hockey 4th XI take on the 5th XI in a top of the table clash in the BUCS Western Conference. Push back is at 4:30pm on the Water Astro, with the match itself one not to be missed!

At the game, the club will be raising funds for JR 4 JR, a website created last year to raise awareness of Brain Injuries, with Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBIs) considered as the ‘invisible disability’.

Both sides have passed the early challenges of their BUCS campaigns with flying colours, the 4th XI dispatching Bath 2nd XI, Southampton 2nd XI and Plymouth 1st XI as they set the early pace. Last week saw the first knockout round of the Conference Cup, with the 4th XI looking to retain their Gold Medal from last time around.

Travelling away to Bath 3rd XI, Exeter set an early pace and were able to force a number of penalty corners, however the absence of corner specialist Matthew Marshall meant all efforts in the final third were to no avail. Bath grabbed the opening strike against the run away, squeezing the ball through the legs of the despairing Mark Philpot. Dogged in defence and determined in midfield, Exeter still couldn’t find a breakthrough as time ticked down with five minutes to go.

Nevertheless, better late than never, as Matt Cooke drew the scores level with two remaining on the clock. Straight from the restart, man of the match Simon Parr drove forward, finding the efficient Constantin Kossen at the back post to slam home a winner and send the 4th XI into the last 16.

The 5th XI had a similarly successful but slightly less eventful trip to Bath in the Cup, with James Whitfield scoring the only goal in a 1-0 victory over Bath 4th XI. Both Exeter sides could still meet in the Quarter Finals if encounters with Winchester 1st XI and Bath 5th XI are successfully negotiated.

The highlights for the 5th XI so far include a fantastic 2-0 defeat of Bournemouth, with Ed Borton and Rhys Davies grabbing the goals in Exeter’s first season having a 5th XI competing in the Third Tier of BUCS Hockey. Added to a 10-1 defeat of Southampton 2nd XI, thanks to Joe Robinson scoring a magical five, the form guide suggests that picking a winner this Wednesday will be a more than difficult task.

Working together with JR 4 JR, EUMHC are looking to make this Wednesday’s event a huge success, and need your support at the Sports Park for what is a huge encounter in the quest for BUCS glory.

There will be match programmes available on the day, sales of JR 4 JR Wristbands and T-Shirts, a Red Bull Giveaway, Official Photographers and more, with everyone welcome to join us at Timepiece downstairs from 7:30pm to kick the evening off in a big way!

In between 130,000-150,000 people in the UK are diagnosed with a Brain Injury every year, with people sustaining a Brain Injury being three times more likely to sustain a second one, as opposed to someone suffering their first.

In the UK alone, just over 50% of Brain Injuries are to youngsters aged 16-24 in Road Traffic Accidents, whilst ½ a million people in the UK aged 16-74 are living with a severe long term disability as a result of a brain injury.

With a TBI even present in a mild concussion, it can occur when the brain is suddenly put under pressure by hitting an object. It can also be a result of when an object pierces the skull and enters the brain tissue.

The effects and damages of every brain injury are different, with no two people suffering a similar accident going through the same problems.

JR 4 JR aims to raise awareness of these issues, alongside supporting and fundraising.
Join us this Wednesday to watch some hockey, purchase a wristband and help spread the word!

Visit www.jr4jr.co.uk for more information; follow on Twitter @Jr4Jr or Like JR 4 JR on Facebook.