The Tab Visits: The Real McCoy Cafe Bar

Local burgers, music and a silent cinema. The Tab introduces you to the Real McCoy Cafe Bar.

fore street mccoys arcade real mccoy

Situated on Fore Street, in the sanctuary of the McCoys arcade, The Real McCoy cafe bar is a new and vibrant place to eat in Exeter, offering anything from cooked breakfasts to afternoon milkshakes and beer. If you’re keen on good food and vintage style, visit the ‘best kept secret in Exeter’.

Inside, the cafe embodies the atmosphere of a 1950’s American diner with a typically retro furnishings and friendly staff. The cafe has a unique feel to it and is a perfect refuge from the high street on a busy Saturday afternoon.

Live Music on a Saturday Afternoon

Tucked away behind a corner is the silent cinema, showing films of your choice (The Tab  watched Grease!)  which you can listen to with wireless headphones whilst eating your lunch.

The area is chilled but effortlessly original; a novel feature you wouldn’t find in any of Exeter high street’s chains. The cafe also has free wi-fi which is ideal for students who are seeking a quiet place to write an essay over lunch.

Outside on the patio, the atmosphere is vibrant with live acoustic music from 2pm onwards on Saturdays. The Tab  was impressed by local band “Sam Green Live” who played their own songs as well as any requests from the customers in the cafe.

Lead singer and guitarist Sam Green described their style as “foot-stomping, harmonica-wailing, lapslide guitar-picking Roots music”. The band interacted well with the customers and provided a lively accompaniment.

Sam Green Live

For a late lunch, The Tab  enjoyed a house special burger, extremely good quality for £6.75. The Real McCoy cafe prides itself in its fresh, local bred produce; a meal out here certainly provides the nourishment needed after the poverty of a student household!

The menu provides for all tastes and even has several smaller options if you’re not feeling that hungry. When asked what is best to offer a new customer, the owner recommended the ‘Diablo’, one of their spiciest and most popular burgers at £7.75.

Customers enjoying the live acoustic act

The old school style of The Real McCoy cafe bar may be an acquired taste but it has plenty to offer for those wanting somewhere new to eat in Exeter. The informal atmosphere of the arcade makes it ideal for students and the menu is priced reasonably enough to not cause damage to any student loan.

Follow @RealMcCoyCafe on twitter