Straw and the Law

Jack Straw treated Uni Students to a chat about law.

| UPDATED Jack Straw Law

Ex-Cabinet minister Jack Straw gave a lecture last night in the University’s new Alumni Auditorium.

The speech, titled ‘The Human Rights Act and Europe’, was part of the 2012 Hamlyn Lecture Series, a group of free-entry national lectures open to the public that aim to increase general understanding of Common Law.

Eleanor Binks, a 2nd Year History and Politics student who went to the speech, said: “It was a very engaging lecture, but some of it was aimed at Law students… there were too many references to Acts of Parliament.”

However, Binks said any confusion brought on by legal jargon was made up for in the question-and-answer section. She said: “Straw was excellent at responding to the audience’s questions and did not shirk away from them.”

The Right Honourable Jack Straw, a Labour politician, has been the Member of Parliament for Blackburn since 1979.

He has served as Home Secretary, Foreign Secretary, Lord Privy Seal and Leader of the House of Commons, Lord High Chancellor and the Secretary of State for Justice. He is also one of only three politicians served in the Cabinet continuously from 1997 to 2010.