Too Many Brookes Spoil The Broth

Franky Kibble on the rugby league first team’s sustained losing streak.

The Rugby League 1st XIII were unable to escape from their early season slump on Wednesday in a 26-12 loss to Oxford Brookes. The previous week had seen a narrow 26-20 loss to UWIC and EURL sought to channel their frustration into a solid performance. With the loss of key players to injury the team were under the kosh before a ball had even been kicked.

A rip-roaring start to the game saw EURL work their way up the pitch, forcing Brookes to play exit sets out from under their posts.

However failure to chop the legs of the considerable Brookes forward led to a soft score being conceded. EURL’s woes were added to when club captain Billy Glover went off with a head injury, albeit obtained during a massive hit which sent Brookes backwards.

Exeter were able to pull a score back just before the interval after a mazy run by hooker Aled Jones, meaning the scores were level.

The second half began in a similar vain to the first, Exeter breaking into the Brookes 20 after strong running from fresher Tom Parsons. They were rewarded with a penalty in front of the sticks, converted by Faolan Lidstone, that established a risky two point lead.

Unfortunately EURL were unable to consolidate their advantage when sloppy defending on the outside led to a Brookes try. Three more scores followed as Brookes’ physicality showed against the young EURL side.

Team captain Hugo Fraser said of the defeat: “It’s deflating but any week now we are going to click as a team. We must therefore keep our heads up as we know the victories will come”. There can be no questions about morale in the squad, shown by the annual ‘baptisms’ performed by Fraser and his vice captain Mark Goulder in the weir after the game.

Glover, safely situated on the bridge, remarked “there’s a really good feeling in the team, we are playing for each other and there’s no doubt this will be a special season”.

The 1st team plays Bath University tomorrow while the 2nd team face Bristol.