HAVE YOUR SAY: The Po-Po want you in the Know-Know

If you’ve had wish-I-could-vote-for-Obama fever, don’t worry! You can vote for your local Police Crime Commissioner.

Police Crime Commissioner

Sexual assault, theft, anti-social behaviour and drug misuse are issues that the average student will encounter – be it through Guild warnings, someone knocking your car wing mirror off down Vic Street or that really keen bloke with the big pupils who’s been licking your face unwarranted.

As residents of Devon and Cornwall, Exeter University students have the power to elect the first ever Police Crime Commissioner (PCC) on 15thNovember.

The PCC will be responsible for making key decisions on how Devon and Cornwall is policed, from street lights to substance misuse.

The candidates were put to the test during a debate held at Exeter University on 16th October, where questions on issues such as violence against women, substance misuse and work with young people were put forward by front line workers from organisations such as Devon Rape Crisis, The Princes Trust and Community Action.

If registered to vote (you’ll have gotten a polling card through the post), Exeter University students can join in by choosing their first and second candidate preferences at one of 1,375 polling stations across Devon and Cornwall on 15th November.

Sarah Carlsen, manager of Devon Reform, said: “”The Government has promised the new police and crime commissioners will put communities back in the driving seat of policing.”

With an annual salary of £85,000, make sure you get your voice heard and that the right candidate gets the job!

The Candidates are:

Brian Samuel Blake, Lib Dem  

A former Detective Chief Inspector with experience in the Ministry of Defence and Special Branch, Brian Blake aims to defend the policing budget and protect the vulnerable, as well as focusing on crime, drugs and anti – social behaviour.

Graham David Calderwood, Independent

Aiming to focus on the views of the public, Graham Calderwood would use his experience in police cases and court prosecutions to actively engage with appropriate outcomes and support for all involved in crime and substance abuse.

Brian Carol Greenslade, Independent

An accountant by profession, Brian Greenslade has experience of community work and would use his position as PCC to engage with the public at all levels and work with the voluntary sector.

Tony Hogg, Conservative

With priorities of visible policing and early intervention for young people, Tony Hogg would use his skills from working as a Royal Naval Officer and volunteering with young people to create an active service for the public.

Ivan James Jordan, Independent

family man with experience of volunteering in schools, Ivan Jordan aims to work in partnership with institutions and agencies to combat crime and disorder, benefiting families and communities. (He also looks a bit like that teacher from Glee…)

Tam Macpherson, Independent

Recognising the impact of job losses and price increases, Tam Macpherson would bring together communities to identify causes and effects of crime and establish two separate police services for Cornwall & the Isles of Scilly and Devon.

William Morris, Independent

Focusing on protecting the public, William Morris aims to introduce Zero Tolerance policies in alcohol related violence areas, treat Farm Crime as urgent and give rape cases and domestic abuse top priority.

John Smith, Independent

With experience in local Government, John Smith would introduce Neighbourhood Policing Teams and ensure correct support is in place for victims and offenders, engaging with the public for opinions and support.

Robert  Lee Smith, UKIP

With experience as a psychologist advising courts on child protection, Robert Smith would tackle the use of speed cameras and discuss realistic sentences with Government, meeting with representatives in all areas to discuss their views.

Nicky Williams, Labour

The only woman on the list, Nicky Williams aims to combat antisocial behaviour early by working with victim support organisations and PCSOs to reduce crime. She also plans to engage with local councils and the voluntary sector to ensure communities are heard.

Who’s got your vote?