New Buildings! New buildings everywhere.

In case you’ve missed Exeter Uni looking like a building site, the University has announced plans to spend £20 million on a bioengineering centre.

| UPDATED bioengineering Building work

The centre will assemble a radical team of leading mathematicians, physicists, systems engineers, biochemists, cell and molecular biologists and clinical scientists to tackle new ways of diagnosing and treating diseases.

If you are sick of the sight of building work then it’s tough luck as work will begin in late 2012.

The quids for this new project will be funded by the University’s £230 million investment in science, medicine and engineering, as part of the University’s overall £1 billion investment over the next decade.

Inside the building will be a large open-plan lab with lots of room for activities and an engineering space for large-scale experimental research (watch out Peter Parker).

The centre will look at understanding how diseases operate inside the human body, specifically exploring:

• Biomarker discovery
  • Next generation bio-imaging technology
  • Synthetic biology
  • Systems biomedicine
  • Biomedical physics

Up to 200 scientists and technicians will be able to make use of the first dedicated science building on campus since 1968.