Exeter Are Right On Par

Joe Davis sees Exeter University Golf Club drive their way to Bucs success in Lincolnshire.

exeter tab exeter university gold club Joe Davis The Bracken the tab exeter University of Exeter woodhall spa

On Tuesday 23 October, Woodhall Spa in Lincolnshire hosted the annual 36 hole Bucs’ individual competition on The Bracken golf course. Nine elite golfers from Exeter took the mammoth five hour journey to compete in the tournament.

On the first day Katie Bradbury shot a respectable +6. As the guys started to tee off conditions took a turn for the worse, suggesting scoring would be difficult. Danny Valis played imperious golf shooting a solid +2 for the day.

Nick Wildman and Laurie Potter both showed everyone in the Bucs competition they were a force to be reckoned, with great scores of 71, one under par for the day.

Potter: a winning smile

Day two saw Katie put in a much improved performance, shooting an impressive level par. The score saw her finish second in the girls scratch category.

Joe Davis and Chris Fleming were both hitting some well struck shots for the boys, posting +3 and +2 respectively for the day. Jack Irwin also posted a +3 round and a +5 round from Danny Valis.

The final two Exeter men Potter and Wildman were both well in the hunt for the title, standing tied for the lead.

Wildman, who before this season had won silver for Team GB at the World University Golf Championships in the Czech Republic, battled through the day. He hit some lovely shots but couldn’t replicate the form he showed previously and shot a +1 round. He finished tied second in the overall competition with level par.

But Laurie “Ice Cool” Potter showed EUGC members how things are done, with an outstanding second round of two under par. This meant that his overall score of -3 was enough to win the Bucs Woodhall Spa event by three clear shots.

This awesome effort from Laurie will inspire competitors from the EUGC to reach this level of play in the future. Bleed Green.