BNOC of the Year: Group Two

A new week, new contenders. Here are your next five big names.

| UPDATED amy falkenburg bnoc of the year david wall george paige harry mccarthy kayne sheppard matt mcdonald tab exeter the tab exeter University of Exeter

Voting has closed for group two. Congratulations to winner Kayne Sheppard, who goes through to the next round. Vote in group three here.

Many-a time has The Tab walked downs Vic Street, thinking to itself ‘just who is the biggest name on campus?’ Well, dear readers, we asked you to help us solve this problem, and boy oh boy did you respond.

Over 100 of you got in touch to nominate your favourite Bnocs. Last week, The Tab released numbers one to five. We received 738 votes. AU President Joe Batten came out top with 26%, meaning he goes through to the next round. Alicia Wedderburn-Graham came second with 23% and Brad Vanstone took 22%. Hearty Tab congratulations to all who took part.

Today, however, it’s back to the competition. Now we reveal six to ten.

George Paige

He tells me other students often pass him in awe saying “look, it’s Original Sin”, so clearly he defines the South West nightlife company. He’s headed some “pretty top drawer” (his own words) events like the Freshers’ Week Project and was chilling with Jamie Laing when he showed up in Arena. Laing even referred to him as “my boi”. Come to think of it, I don’t know why Original Sin even bother with celebrities at their events, as I’m pretty sure the only reason everyone was flocking to Arena the other Monday was to catch a glimpse of GP. Rumour has it George had to be carried out to safety by the bouncers after his fans crowded him – just another night in the life of a BNOC. Finally, George frequently refers to himself as a big name, so it must be true.

Kayne Sheppard

Kayne Sheppard has made our top 20 after various nominations from people across campus. In the past couple of weeks it is almost guaranteed that Kayne spoke to you on campus selling football varsity tickets. The football club social sec set a new University record with just under 500 tickets sold, and it is largely down to his decent chat and genuine friendly nature. He is an ever-present in TP Wednesday if he makes it after the social, and his recent post on Uni Confessions (which you can see here) got over 1,200 likes.

David Wall

The Great Wall of Devon – While diminutive in stature, this one puts forward a case for being one of the biggest names on campus. Alongside being the social sec of the infamous EURFC, he also manages to fit tap dance lessons and Footlights performances around a politics degree (though he’ll be the first to tell you he’s on a 2:2). As well as taking a (very) keen interest in both cheerleading and Dance Soc, specifically their members, he’s been known to frequent Loose Moose, though you’ll find him, without fail, in ‘Legends Corner’ on a Wednesday night, alternately telling you to get out and trying to snog you. If you see him in the street, be sure to ask what he managed to do 30 of in three hours last year. A real candidate.

Amy Falkenburg

Fit Amy – Amy Falkenburg can be spotted zooming around campus in her Red Bull car, handing out free energy boosts with a winning smile and bubbly laugh. Always on hand with a nice thing to say, the high-top wearing brunette bombshell is sure to brighten your day, which is why she’s everyone’s favourite BNOC.

Harry McCarthy

The first regular Tab contributor to make the list, debate editor Harry McCarthy is undoubtedly a larger-than-life character. Whether tweeting pictures of his extravagant Lady Gaga costumes or taking down whoever is unwise enough to find themselves under his polemical crosshairs, Harry has long been a name bandied around in hushed and excited tones. Not only this, but his little black book is an extensive anthology of Exeter’s “closeted”.