Hockey 6th XI Take the Sting Out of the Hornets

Rory Bethwaite reports on the 6th XI’s first win of the season, hosting the Exeter and Culm Vale Hornets.

After a sluggish start to the season and with the odd TP hangover still apparent, it was time for the newly promoted 6ths to bag a deserved win.

Alistair Hammond and Conor Jones got the cylinders firing with stirring team talks, outlining Exeter’s potential to play some good, structured hockey. A solid start to the game with some decent width and ball pace brought the first goal and champagne moment – a clinical finish from Conor Jones rifling past the keeper. 1-0.

Surely you don’t play on grass lads?

After several close attempted, it was Rupert Naylor’s turn to score, as the keeper deciding to jump over the ball rather than save it, bringing the score to 2-0.

Exeter’s superior fitness level meant counter attacks were held off, with noteworthy performances at the back from Captain Jones and his other centre back, Tom Rose, for holding off a mouthy and rather rotund ‘striker’ for the Hornets.

Plenty of room for development was the post-match consensus however, with ball pace and first touches needing to improve for future fixtures. Man of the match went to Josh Roberts, who was faultless at the back, tackling strongly and sending fantastic passes all over the park.

Having thoroughly taken the sting from the Hornets hockey this afternoon, the 6th XI look ahead to the next fixture with a lot to be proud of, and with the season finally up and running.

Meanwhile, EUMHC 3rd XI travelled to Bristol University hoping to continue their good run of results. Exeter quickly went 1-0 up after a long aerial ball found Ben Brandt in the D, who beat the keeper and slotted home. Exeter fought hard against the Bristol team and were rewarded when a shot from the breakdown of a penalty corner struck a defender on the line, resulting in a penalty stroke which Sam Plater put away with ease, and a third Exeter goal quickly followed at the hands of Alfie Gilbert.

Bristol were fired up at the start of the second half, determined to get something out of the game. A late goal from the home side was not enough to stop Exeter taking a swaggering three points and move themselves up the table with a resounding 3-1 win.