Money, money, money…

The long-term value of the University’s spending is put under the microscope by Daniel Hartley.

The Sunday Times has ranked our University as 7th in the country but the best University of the year – brilliant, and a confusing opening gambit. Should I rejoice about attending the “best” University, or turn a blind eye to the fact that there are far superior options “on the continent” at a fraction of the price?

The criteria for “best” University include student satisfaction, graduate outcomes and completion rates. Needless to say, the ever-expanding sum of money being spent on building work is no doubt boosting our University up the rankings, and I will applaud this- aesthetically, it can’t be beaten.

The heart of student living, or an airport lounge?

However, one could say the shallow mark of capitalism has been bestowed upon our University: their cutting-edge facilities and gross over-spending on dysfunctional buildings (£380 million thus far) now give us the accolade of “the very best of British education”(Sir Steve Smith). I would much rather sit in a mediocre lecture theatre with a greater emphasis on quality of teaching and increased contact hours than walk through the Forum and feel like I’m in Terminal 5.

Part of the criteria is student satisfaction. Yes, it’s obvious I’m a cynic but I can safely say that less than half of my friends are “satisfied” with their course. I would, however, agree that an overwhelming majority are satisfied with their lifestyle here. Who wouldn’t enjoy living with their friends and only having to spend a meagre 3 hours a week being taught?

It would appear those studying law going into their last year have a woeful 1 lecture a week whereas my week (as a Drama student) consists of more than 9 hours contact time. Should either of us be satisfied? No. In 2011 the average contact time was 11 hours a week. Has Exeter’s new £9000 price tag been matched by an increase in the quality of education? Once again, no.

University fees in England have been ranked third highest in the world. I would be more than happy to accept this figure if I knew I was getting the quality of education that matches our global competitors. Have contact hours gone up since the rise in tuition fees? No. Has the quality of teaching gone up? No. Has our University seen a drop in applications this year? Yes, supposedly it’s harder to get in this year….despite another record year of A-level grades.

£9000 a year gets you 25 weeks of teaching. For an English or Law student that works out at £36 an hour of contact time a Biology student £26. As an English or Law student, when you sit through a lecture are you actually receiving good value for money?

‘Stoner’s chemistry sets’ and saris – just your average day in the Forum.

To walk through the Forum and see a “sculpture” that resembles a stoner’s chemistry set fills my heart with dismay. When will the University start to spend money on their students and bolstering the level of academic prowess we’re known for? Flagrant overspending on un-important, materialistic commodities is fast becoming a trait of this University; something it needs to shake off it wants to maintain its top ten status.

The rotating doors in the Forum shattered into a million tiny pieces last week. Take from that what you will, but for me it paints the perfect picture of the temporality this University is instigating under its guise of glitz and glamour.