Benjamin Francis Leftwich @ Phoenix

Camilla Charrington is left enchanted by BFL’s reccent gig at the Exeter Phoenix

As the temperatures drop and a dreary drizzle descends on Exeter for the winter, York born acoustic songwriter Benjamin Francis Leftwich provided a welcome respite from the chilly weather. In the cosy Phoenix, Leftwich enchanted Exeter with an intimate show that left everyone feeling a little spellbound.

Supporting acts Joe Janiak and Marika Hackman set the tone for the evening; both seriously promising musicians, accompanying Leftwich throughout his UK tour and bound to make waves in the future. Having heard Hackman’s ‘Mountain Spines’ on the radio the week before, I was excited to hear more from the 20 year old from Brighton, and neither she nor Janiak disappointed.

As Leftwich took the stage to rapturous applause and cries of ‘We love you BFL!’, he immediately had his audience captivated with his opener ‘Pictures’, his wistful and melancholic voice silencing the crowds.

While he cites artists such as Springsteen and Ryan Adams as his primary influences for debut album ‘Last Smoke Before the Snowstorm’, its confessional and mournful tone is more reminiscent of the sombre sounds of artists such as Nick Drake or Elliot Smith and can make for something of an acoustic overkill.

However, it is in his live performances that Leftwich really excels. Transforming his work with grand finishes and wonderfully cathartic energy akin to bands such as the National, we heard a different side to Leftwich. On an album in which songs can easily merge into each other it was refreshing to hear a great mix of new material, old favourites and a cover of Rebellion (Lies) by Arcade Fire. His rendition of ‘Shine’, for example, included a synthesiser, and ‘Box of Stones’ had an amped up, energetic ending.

That is not to say he didn’t stick to what he’s best at, and what he’s probably better known for. The set featured stripped back performances of a number of his songs; finishing with crowd favourite ‘Atlas Hands’, minus a band or even a microphone, with the audience quietly singing along to his haunting melodies.

It’s easy to dismiss Leftwich as another one of those cooing guitar/folksy/mellow types who wax lyrical on all things whimsical and slightly nonsensical; the term singer-songwriter can certainly be a dangerous one, adopted by any old fool that can bash out ‘Wonderwall’ by a campfire.

But the 23 year old from York proved his worth as a star on the rise, and I for one was charmed by his varied, surprising but overall beautiful performance.

You can find details about Benjamin Francis Leftwich’s tour here: http://www.benjaminfrancisleftwich.com/live/