Brookes Can Be Deceiving

Fresher and debutant Franky Kibble on the Rugby League 2nd team’s heartbreaking visit to Oxford.

Exeter University Rugby League succumbed to an excruciating defeat on Wednesday with the 2nd team going down 26-20 to Oxford Brookes in an enthralling first game of the BUCS season.

The week before the Student Rugby League Nines tournament in Hemel Hempstead had given new faces and old heads a chance to limber up and the game against Brookes continued in this vain, massive hits going in right from the start. Strong running from loose forward Harry Kirwan brought EURL up the pitch but a soft try allowed Brookes to take the lead. After battling back to 8-8 at half time, despite average completion rates, the tempo was again raised in the second half.

Immense running from Oliver Pestell and James O’Leary broke holes in Brookes’ defence and EURL were soon on top with some great tries from O’Leary and fullback Tom Roach. With Alex Rembridge bossing the game at the unfamiliar position of stand off EURL could smell victory but Brookes rallied with some good running to tie the scores at 20-20 with three minutes remaining. While pushing for that elusive score to steal the game a ball went loose, Brookes broke away and the match was lost.

However the incredible shift put in by the team particularly by prop Alister Haberfield, who played seventy minutes of the match, and man of the match Pestell leaves much for the 2nds to take into their next game. Captain Rob Ede was optimistic in defeat, “A superb effort from the fresh who put their hands up, a cruel  finish to a game in which we showed a lot of promise” while Club Captain Billy Glover was left impressed, remarking that “We’ll come back stronger after this tough game. Its hard to lose like that but a valuable lesson to be learnt, although all credit to Brookes”.

Both the 1sts and 2nds are back in action at Duckes Meadow next Wednesday when they face the University of Glamorgan and Filton College respectively.