Footballers left in
fixture fix

Bristol had a nasty surprise when they arrived in Exe on Wednesday

The new term has already seen Exeter widen the gap with Bristol in the university league tables.

And now it seems as if our footballers are devising other ways to foil our local rivals.

The Bristol boys were left looking sheepish when they arrived in Exeter on Wednesday, only to find our EUAFC clubmen away on BUCS duty.

The two squads were due to play friendlies between their 1st and 2nd teams on Duckes Meadows.

But a scheduling mix-up meant that Exeter’s second team was away in Bath, playing the first fixture in their BUCS campaign.

The 1sts were not ready to play either, so Bristol had to make do with a kickabout among themselves.

Both clubs declined to comment, but The Tab understands blame for the cock-up is being shared between the sides.

The fixture was organised a month ago as a warm-up for the main BUCS competition. Exeter’s 1st team start their season next week away to Bath 2nds.

But being the true gents that they are, Exeter paid for Bristol’s coach ride. Obviously the charity spirit of the 2012 Varsity has rubbed off on the EUAFC.