Marilyn Monroe’s life remembered at Uni museum

50th anniversary of the film icon’s death is marked by the Bill Douglas Centre.

| UPDATED bill douglas centre film marylin monroe

A Marilyn Monroe exhibition to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the famous film icon’s death is underway at the Bill Douglas Centre.

Monroe is remembered in over 400 objects of memorabilia, which are on display in the University’s cinema museum.

The special exhibition has been put together by Hannah Lamarque, an English undergraduate at the university.

Curator Philip Wickham’s favourite piece from the collection

The museum’s curator, Philip Wickham, spoke to The Tab about the huge variety of items on display. He said: “We have 70 more items on display than usual, ranging from her lifetime to now, some by her, some about her.

“In the late 70’s she became a feminine icon. She represents different things to different people.”

The exhibition has already received a huge amount of interest, with people donating items towards it and travelling from around the region to visit it.

Dr Fiona Handyside, lecturer in film at the University, gave her opinion on why the exhibition is so popular. She said: “Marilyn is an enduring popular icon, and she continues to fascinate

“These images help us to consider if Marilyn is really a feminist icon or sex object and forms questions about why we care so much about the private life of somebody we’ve never met.”

The exhibition is open at The Bill Douglas Centre on the University’s Streatham Campus until Christmas.