Bobbies on the tweet

Exeter police are tweeting advice for students on staying safe in the city.

police Twitter

The scheme, a partnership with the Guild, aims to make it easier for students to stay aware of crime levels, safety messages and city information.

Their Twitter page features a variety of tweets such as “over half #crimes in #Exeter city centre in last two days were #shoplifting offences” to “male moved on by #police from #Exeter shop doorway after…continually urinating over their property.”

“Male moved on by police from shop doorway after continually urinating over their property.”

Chief Inspector Terry Bissessar said “We have used some hard hitting messages interspersed with information [students] will take notice of, for instance, where the best bars are.”

“The last thing we want to do is criminalise these young people – we just want to make them safe,” the Chief Inspector continued, and indeed, the Twitter page welcomes updates from the public on what’s going on via the website.

Ryan Munns, a third year Engineering student told The Tab: “My friend follows them on Twitter and I probably would too, if I had Twitter. It’s good to know where crimes are happening so you can live in a safe area. I think it’s a great idea.”