Review: Pigeon Detectives @ Exeter Phoenix

Rob Fellingham on the Yorkshire band’s recent visit to the Phoenix

gig Phoenix Pigeon Detectives Exeter

Summer kicked off in style as The Pigeon Detectives hit Exeter. The indie rock band are touring the UK and made a brief stop to a small but receptive crowd at the Exeter Phoenix, combining new material from their latest album "Up, Guards and At’Em" with some more notorious hits.

The place was rocking from the outset as the Yorkshiremen opened with "Romantic Type" and the lads from Leeds proved themselves to be as energetic and lively as their debut album back in 2006.

The capacity crowd showed what a diverse audience the group attract – from the 20 stone bald guy who thought he was a human bowling ball to the more mature listeners at the back, its sufficed to say it wasn’t long until the place descended in to a sweaty bouncing mess.

But let’s be honest, what more do you want from a rock gig? The hits were rolled out in succession, "I Found Out", "Take Her Back" and "Everybody Wants Me" particular highlights.

Frontman Matt Bowman was his usual energetic self, jesting with the crowd and drenching them with water like there was no tomorrow. The Carles Puyol lookalike (Google it) was later seen in The Cavern a little bit worse for wear… I attempted an exclusive Exeter Drop interview however it culminated in a few gut punches from the big man. Worth a shot.

On the whole a fun and lively gig, and in the words of the man himself, “Not a bad way to spend a Wednesday night in Exeter.“