Exeter University in the Olympic Torch Procession

Drama students from the University of Exeter have been taking the leading role in organising the Exeter Olympic Torch Procession – The Battle for the Winds – taking place May 20th in Exeter city centre.

Exeter exeter university London 2012 Olympic Torch Procession Olympics

Drama students from the University of Exeter have been taking the leading role in organising the Exeter Olympic Torch Procession – The Battle for the Winds – taking place May 20th in Exeter city Centre.

The students are not only acting within the procession itself, but have also been offered the invaluable experience of being able to take on various managerial roles. These roles include project manager, press and marketing, puppetry construction, administrative and our intern at the Forkbeard Fantasy studios; the Devon-based theatre company who are behind the puppetry and design of the procession. Other contributors include Exeter City Council, Desperate Men and Cirque Bijou.

Exeter University’s drama department has provided some of the main actors who will be leading the procession. This includes Emma-Rose Payne who is taking on the starring role of the Lady of the Wind. Other characters featured within the procession include the Met Office Man, Sherlock Holmes and a team of horses and riders.

The Battle for the Winds is focused around the element of wind. The procession will feature a range of interesting puppets, characters and machines, all designed to collect the wind for the finale, where it will be released to spark the beginning of the Olympic sailing.

The procession is also a celebration of all things British with characters like Sherlock Holmes, cream teas and the Beast of Dartmoor.

Exeter will turn in to a city of celebration featuring a carnival like atmosphere on May 20th in the city centre. Come and watch University of Exeter students lead and run this cultural event – this is not to be missed!