An Indian Summer: Rickshaw on Campus

Harry Penrose discovers why Streatham campus will experience a touch of India this Thursday.

an indian summer charity

On Thursday 29th March, a team of hand picked Exeter undergraduates will be bringing an Indian rickshaw to campus to ferry students to and from lectures.

We sat down with team member and 2nd year psychology student Will Humphries to find out more.

The event is part of the Exeter team’s entry into a national university level employability scheme called ‘An Indian Summer’ organised by RBS. The scheme is in partnership with the Prince’s Trust, with all proceeds from the event going to them.

Earlier in the academic year, after signing up in their hundreds, undergraduates were required to attend interviews hosted in the Ganges restaurant in town and prove to the RBS representatives hosting the interviews that they deserved their place. Soon after, the team was whittled down to five members.

The team’s creative entrepreneurial process and hard work has culminated into this Thursday’s event, in which they will be bringing an Indian rickshaw to campus.

Students will be afforded the privilege of being chauffeured to and from campus between the two drop off points on Vic Street and outside Streatham Court. The rickshaw itself will be driven by a qualified driver.

Riders of the rickshaw will also be given a free t-shirt designed by Original Sin events.

However the Exeter team faces competition from teams at each of the UK’s top universities, and following the events of Thursday, the team will be taking their business performance, as well as a summary of their operations to the final in London.

At this event, RBS representatives and bosses will judge the entries, and decide which team deserves the grand prize of a summer spent in Mumbai.

In Mumbai, the winning team will spend time working with 'SUPPORT', a charity offering residential care helping to rehabilitate drug addicted street children. The team will also spend time at RBS’ offices in Mumbai gaining valuable work experience.

As this is a competition, the Exeter team need your support to help them in their quest to raise money for a good cause and to be sent out to Mumbai to help a charity with some very worthwhile work.

So please come along on Thursday and help them out as much as you can. Whether it be as a rider of the rickshaw or with donations to their stall outside Streatham Court, they will really appreciate your support.

Join the Facebook event here or donate by text: 70070 'EUIS99 + £(Amount donating)