Fire breaks out on Well Street
Fire in rented property tackled by two fire engines earlier this evening.
A fire broke out in a privately rented property on Well Street earlier this evening. Alerted by passers-by who saw smoke, two fire engines arrived by 5.55pm to combat the fires.
Thought to have started from the town house chimney stack, a crane was used by firemen to reach the top of the house in time to save further damage. After a day of sunshine, many students hardly noticed the fire as they were returning home this evening. Rachel Arnison, a second year Law student and resident of Well Street told the Drop: “I hadn’t noticed anything unusual. I just looked out the door and saw flashing lights. It was certainly a shock”.
With two fire engines on the scene within the hour, the situation was under control swiftly and no-one was hurt. Fireman Lee Blackburn informed us that “fires are a high risk in student properties, particularly in chimneys”. As many properties in Exeter have used or disused chimneys he advises that “they must be swept twice a year by a qualified chimney sweep”.
Unlikely to be at the top of your domestic duties, maybe this is something to question your landlord on next time he/she pops round.
You may also like
Bring on round two
It’s Exeter’s answer to the #MeToo movement
Time to meet the girls!
‘Luxury coach travel’ isn’t all it’s hyped up to be
Basically the most Instagrammable places in Exeter
Who will be crowned winner?
Because we’ve not heard enough about blazin’ squads lately