Exeter Triumphs In Varsity BPONG Tournament

BPong Soc Will Jones reports on the team’s exploits against Swansea.

beer pong bpong fitness varsity bpong

21 teams from Exeter Pong Society and Swansea Beer Pong Society descended upon Walkabout Exeter on Friday night to play in the varsity BPONG tournament – anotherW first for Exeter Pong.

Swansea came with tales of training in fraternity basements in America, whilst Exeter were fresh off their 4-0 varsity victory over Bath.

The atmosphere was buzzing through the group stages with many tight matches. With the top two from each group going through to the quarter finals. Group 3 needed a one cup penalty shoot out to decide a three way tie for 1st. In group 2, another three way tie for 2nd where Somers Brewin and Mark Cohen won the head to head against rivals Raffaella Boulter and James Pritchard and Swansea’s Daniel Strange and Mousa Dahebrah.

Exeter staked a claim once again as the best team in the UK, by shutting out Swansea, leaving all Exeter quarter finals. Tournament Chairman and Exeter President Will Jones stating: “I couldn’t be any prouder of my members, it is clear the practice that we put in has enabled us to be the best team in the country.”

The first quarter final between committee members Adi Mehta and Matthew Bell versus VP Chris Wood and Vinay Patel ended with Chris and Vinay coming through 10-8.

A high profile quarter final match between Exeter 1s Ollie Borch and Charlie Fortune playing Chris Hedderick and Martin Cerventaz, an Iowa State recruit who were undefeated thus far. This scintillating match was almost over when Chris hit the last cup but then Ollie Borch came up big and hit the redemption shot to enter 3 cup pong. Fortune and Borch kept the momentum going as they kept hitting their shots with Ollie Borch again stepping up big to hit the last cup to win by 1.

In the third quarter final, Exeter 3s Chris "Willy" Williams and Mike Couldridge were up against high flyers Adam Grierson and Tom Ward. Tom Ward hit 6 cups in a row leaving them with 1 cup left to their opponents 7. The 3s kept calm though and shot 60 percent to get back into the match while Adam and Tom could not hit the last cup. Mike and Chris brought it back to 9-7 before hitting the same cup, ending the match and leaving the crowd in awe.

The last quarter final featured veterans Somers Brewin and Mark Cohen versus freshers Chris Waterworth and Jamie Gore in another close encounter. The match went into redemption thanks to some clutch shooting by Somers and again the momentum proved essential as they went onto win the match.

The semis between Chris Wood and Vinay versus Exeter 1s Borch and Fortune produced a high quality match with the 1s chemistry shining through hitting multiple same cup shots to win the game.

In the other semi, Chris and Mike played Somers and Mark in another top level match. Chris and Mike continued their fine form, shooting 55 percent and trouncing their opponents.

The final put Exeter 1s Charlie Fortune and Ollie Borch up against the 3s Chris Willy Williams and Mike Couldridge. In the end, the 3s humbled the 1s, shooting 70 percent and taking the well deserved title of tournament champions.

At the end of the day, it was all about the historic meeting between Exeter and Swansea, Swansea President Eva Donaghue declaring “a fantastically hosted event with a great night had by all, we are already looking forward to a rematch.”

Exeter remain undefeated – can anyone beat this team?