Review: InMe @ Exeter Cavern (27/02/12)

I ran out of fingers counting the number of shocking tattoos and comically gothic couples Tim Burton would be proud to have put together

cavern Exeter Inme live

Having checked online to see when Exeter’s ‘longest running indie venue’ would be opening its doors for this evening’s gig; starting my night with an hour-long wait in the rain wasn’t exactly the welcome I was hoping for.

It did however allow for a not-so-quick survey of those who were prepared to part with their cash to catch Essex’s “alternative metal” four-piece InMe. 

Almost exclusively clad in the finest black garments Exeter has to offer, I ran out of fingers counting the number of shit tattoos and comically gothic couples Tim Burton would be proud to have put together. Need I explain: this was a night filled with locals.

Finally in the venue, it wasn’t long before the first band took to the stage. Hailing from Northern Ireland, Mojo Fury delivered a shaky set of mismatched rock. A few good ideas scattered themselves across the set, but for every riff that caught the ear, the progressive four-piece made the odd decision to shift into a funky breakdown or yet another strike of the headstock that ultimately left the crowd unsure of what kind of band they were attempting to be.

Having been together for eight years, touring alongside the likes of Biffy Clyro and Two Door Cinema Club; such an indefinite sound and altogether amateur stage presence failed to gain any response from the crowd, most of which were leaving for a drink before the conclusion of the set.

Next to take the stage were Derbyshire’s LostAlone, the only three-piece on the bill, but with an undoubtedly fuller sound than their predecessors were able to pull together. Sporting a full set of black backcombed mullets and tight, girls’ clothing, each of the members could easily have passed for Noel Fielding and The Ramones’ love child.

Yet, in spite of a fairly daunting physical appearance, the outfit offered a surprisingly catchy mix of classic rock and garage punk in the vein of The Vines shaking hands with Black Sabbath. Tonnes of great riffs, a fantastic ability to control the stage and plenty of choruses to sing along with at last gave the crowd something to move to, dancing throughout the remainder of the polished set.

Another quick changeover, and headliners InMe were soon making their way through a select choice from across their five studio albums.
As I struggled for space within the sold-out crowd, forcibly clasping a beer-covered coat wasn’t enough to spoil a fantastic display from a band whose sixteen-year long career hasn’t stopped them from keeping a strong relationship with their fans.

Not for a moment did the audience stop bashing into one another as the band moved from shredding guitar solos to balls-out riffs, all of which delivered with a sense that these are still just a bunch of friends having a great time. Progressively complex melodies topped with an ever-changing texture of shouting and sing-a-long choruses kept the entire audience enthralled, buying up plenty of merchandise at the end to replace their sweat-drenched clothing.