EUTC Fall Short at Loughborough

Yvanna Kurlack reports on EUTC’s latest action: the BUCS quarter-final knockout against Loughborough.

BUCS EUTC

The Women’s First Team faced a tough challenge against Loughborough in the BUCS Knockout Quarter-Finals.

With Yvanna Kurlak and Kate Lucy injured and ill, Ellie Pocock stepped up to the mark to play at number one. 

The doubles started well with Pocock and Snidal clinching the first game and dominating at the net early on in the match, but against their experienced opposition they were unable to sustain their good form. 

The second doubles pair Leonard and Horder found it equally hard to dominate in their match, missing out on a few key volleys and lost even though they fought back valiantly in the second set.

The singles started positively with Pocock giving the crowd an excellent display of that Exeter fighting spirit and, whilst her opponent was the clear favourite, she made the Loughborough number 1 win every point.

The tight 6-4 scoreline in the first set did not reflect the ups and downs which ensued after 4-3, but unfortunately she then lost momentum in the second set and lost 4-6 0-6.

Leonard faced an equally tough challenge against her higher rated opponent, with the Loughborough opposition matching every good shot.

Leonard’s down the line backhand surfaced in times of trouble but she was unable to convert brief moments of brilliance into a win. 

Her opponent dominated her and she suffered an eventual loss.
At this point the girls were trailing 8-0 and knew their dream of Semi-finals was well and truly over but Snidal and Horder were determined to see the fixture through, playing two short-set matches.

Following the match, the girls refused to be downhearted and instead revelled in the sight of Horder’s attempts at showering with a towel the size of a flannel – the girls may have lost but they will be looking for revenge next year and can certainly take the positives away from this match!