International Sports Month comes to Exeter

Dodgeball, The Grecians Shield and Running around in red pants, Oli Rossiter previews the International Sports Month.

AU

On the 1st March, the International Sports Month will begin at the University, and it is set to be a huge event. Including a wide variety of sports from Football to Rackelton and Yoga to Dodgeball, AU president Beth Hampson has stated ‘there really are events suited to all!’

For those of you that aren’t just interested in the more popular sports that the AU has to offer, there are free taster sessions in yoga, volleyball and swimming to mention a few.

But for those of you looking to play a bit of 6aside football or participate in a mixed netball or dodgeball tournament, there are plenty of opportunities for this too.

After the huge success of the Grecians Shield last March, the 6aside tournament is returning on Sunday the 4th March. It is always a popular event, attracting over 200 students last time round, with teams battling it out through knock-out rounds to reach the final. Last year’s winners were treated to 12 hospitality tickets to see Exeter City play, and a similar prize is on offer this time round.

The Mixed Netball tournament takes place on Friday 2nd March, and new for this year, a Dodgeball tournament is set to be unleashed later in the month. This event is set to be extremely popular and it’s a perfect excuse to get a group of mates together and hurl a few balls at the opponents.

Another particularly interesting event is the Dare Devils Run: a fun charity run across campus. The aim is to raise money for Cancer research and sport relief, but like most events at Uni, it dosen’t have to be a straightforward run.

For just two pounds, all entrants will receive a pair of red pants! Whether you want to wear them over your shorts or around your head, the Dare Devils Run is one of the highlights of the month.

The scheme is part of a new initiative at Exeter to try and encourage as many people as possible to get involved with a whole range of sports.

As students it’s very rare that we get anything for free, and so it is refreshing to see the AU offer so many opportunities without having to delve deeper into your overdraft!

For full information visit http://sport.exeter.ac.uk/studentsport/sportmonth/