Mary Kantrantzou for Topshop

Topshop’s highly anticipated collaboration with Mary Katrantzou sells out in minutes.

fashion mary katrantzou topshop

Winter arrives and everyone feels the need to add a bit of colour to their wardrobes to brighten up those long, cold days.

Mary Katrantzou’s bold and bright prints seem to do the job perfectly and she now has a world-wide fan base. However with price tags into four figures, for must of us, our love of this designer revolves around staring longingly at these dresses in magazines.

You can imagine the excitement then, when Topshop announced their collaboration with her; a dream come true for those Mary Katrantzou-loving students out there.

The first pictures were leaked and the collection was even better than we could have imagined: statement balloon dresses, blouses and tailored trousers all in a wonderful array of her characteristic bright prints.

Sadly for most, the launch day came and within minutes the whole collection was sold out. Over to eBay and the dresses were being resold for over double the price.

So it seems the unreachable remained unreachable and all the excitement was for nothing. From the constant updates from London Fashion Week, the collection seems to have gone down well amongst London’s ‘it-girls’ including Poppy Delevigne (pictured above).

However, on the bright side, Zara seems to have saved the day once again. Their SS12 collection is full of statement prints; from floral to baroque there is something for everyone all at high street prices.

If you can’t have her dresses then at least take the advice of Katrantzou herself:

For a daring but up-to-date look try print on print layering. Off to Zara we will go!