BuggedOut! Weekender: The Review

Anna Mason is a celestial being. Also, she wrote a review of a music festival.

bass beats Exeter festival music review

For most students, January looms with the promise of the cold, exams and the library. So what better antidote than to pack your bags up and head to the south coast for three nights of music madness?

In its 17th year of hosting club nights around the globe, BUGGEDOut! and a following of forty-odd Beats and Bass Society members invaded Butlins Bognor Regis (AKA Boglins) for their first weekender. 

As well as three nights of some of the freshest dance names out there at the moment, the £130 ticket included three nights of accommodation, Splash Waterworld pool party, funfair and an Exeter student touch of complementary champagne.

Boglins provided a perfect base for a music festival; especially for those who are not so fond of shivering in a tent failing to light a soggy cigarette.

The few awake hours of daylight was spent ambling round the casino, restaurants and beach, or passed out in over-heated apartments before somehow rebooting for another night of musical rampage.

The lineup included latest craze Maya Jane Coles, tech-house king Claude Von Stroke, and Hot Chip side-project The 2 Bears. Revellers also enjoyed electrifying performances by Diplo, Hudson Mohawke, Chase & Status, Green Velvet, Martyn and Exeter’s very own Ollie Norman; who received special mention for his set in the DJ competition.

With so much choice, the only frustration was choosing who to see in clashes such as Electro House titan Simian Mobile Disco and the genre-defying James Holden.

Those wise enough to part with their coin for a ticket have no regrets. But everyone that missed out can save the tears for now – next year promises to be bigger and better.

To summarise: the perfect remedy for mid-winter blues.

Best surprise: Laura Jones
Weekend highlight: Claude Von Stroke
Best moment: Group hug to The 2 Bears' "Bear Hug".