Winchester Wipe Out

Lucy Singleton reports on EUNC 3s’ whitewash win over Winchester.

EUNC Netball

February 8th saw Exeter University Netball Club 3s head down to Winchester to attempt to further their position in the league.

With a previous home win under their belt, the confidence level heading into the first quarter was strong, despite tiredness from the two and a half hour drive.

The first quarter saw Exeter go from strength to strength with excellent attacking strategies enabling the team to develop a strong lead from the start.

Defence by Katy Dennis and Beth Hampson created difficulties for the Winchester attack with the opposition failing to score a goal in the first ten minutes and Exeter won the first quarter 12-3.

By the end of the first half, Exeter had pulled ahead even further with a score of 26-8. Cerys Llewelyn and Jenny Craze worked hard in the circle to produce goal after goal and this reflected the strength of Exeter compared to Winchester.

Half-time substitutes Zoe Crouch and Lucy Singleton gave new found energy to the game with the third quarter being the highest scoring of the match.

An amusing incident concerning Beth Hampson mistaking a player’s ankle for the ball in her attempt to win possession could have created bitterness between the two teams but Winchester’s lack of complaint refusal to complain thankfully showed a gamesmanship-based attitude.

Aisling Dundon, Laura Affleck and Lisa Borthwick all contributed to centre court interceptions ensuring Exeter remained in possession.
The score going into the final quarter was 41-12 but with Exeter trailing Bath in the league by an 8 goal difference, it was vital to carry on pushing the score up.

The circle shooting enabled Exeter to get that strong all important goal difference with Exeter leaving Winchester feeling content after the final victory of 54-19 with Cerys Llewelyn receiving the coveted and well deserved (wo)man of the match.