The guide to dressing for Edinburgh’s clubs

There’s something for everyone

Edinburgh’s clubbing scene is varied to say the least. From the pits of Hive to the giddying heights of George Street on a weekend night, it’s certainly a place to find your niche. The difficulty usually comes in deciding what to wear for these wide ranging nights out, so we’ve compiled a handy guide to help you along your way.

Why Not? 

A tricky one. Do you go for ironic overly edgy attire, complete with your Ralphy cap? Or do you go all out and dig out your heels because you live in Beaverbank and it’s likely to be the one night out this week? For those wanting to err on the safe side, a casual approach is certainly best.

By all means, whip out your favourite shirt and best shoes, but just remember that the dance floor gets very sweaty and there’s a 90% chance of an overenthusiastic dancer hurling their vodka mixer onto your head whilst belting out ‘Come on Eileen’.

That £5 prosecco lyf

Cab Vol 

Bright colours and flashy clothes don’t do well at Cab Vol. In its dark basement with flashing strobes, black and white are the go to shades here, to match the pounding House music and silent dancers. Caps not essential but appreciated.

Edge

Bongo’s 

A veritable Pollock party, everyone here probably went to boarding school and really love sick tunes. If you really want to fit in with Johnno from Charterhouse, it’s recommended that you wear your edgier garments for a night out at Bongo’s. Nothing’s too outrageous here, so for those wanting to turn up in lime green bell-bottoms and a crochet top be assured you won’t look out of place with your fellow trendy clubbers.

Is it still wavy if everyone’s wearing the same thing?

Creme Soda 

A club night over an actual club, Creme has to be mentioned just for the transformation which takes over Lulus on a Wednesday night.

Gone are the yopros and men in business suits, replaced by bright-eyed students, off their tits on cheap tequila shots and free sweets. Therefore, if you’re planning on a Creme night don’t overdo it. Think a nice top and jeans, with those ever versatile trainers which still have traces of Felix’s vomit from Halloween on as well as a few VK stains. Classic student night out attire really.

Sassy n trashy

The Big Cheese

A fan favourite every time with its predictable mash up of chart music and classic throwbacks. Big Cheese doesnt masquerade as anything other than an unabashedly fun night of cheese, where you will undoubtedly run into about 50 people you know.

The dress code should reflect that carefree, throwback feeling, with lots of denim and mesh, and chunky trainers so you really look the part as you belt out Spice girls’ Wannabe. People always tend to go between the extremes at Big Cheese, often attracting very dressed up drunk girls who usually end up on the floor.

Classic drunk girl on the floor

Hive

The classic. A night at Hive consists of sweating all your makeup off, spilling your drink down you, delaying the trip to the toilet because yet another banger just started playing, and getting way more drunk than you intended. In short, a hive night is a mess. But Hive doesn’t try to be anything other than what it is.

It’s shit but still probably the best fun you can have on a night out. Similar to Prow, you’ll probably see countless mates there, as well as countless people you’ve got with in the past because that’s just the kind of sweaty cess-pool Hive is, but you love it really.

For Hive, the normal attire doesn’t actually consist of many clothes because why wear a long sleeved shirt when you’re dripping after being there for only 10 minutes. Footwear is usually your grubbiest trainers with some people even having a set pair of “Hive shoes.” Be prepared to have to wash these clothes twice in order to get the smell out after a Hive night.

Get ready to sweat