‘He seems quite short’: Edinburgh University students voice their opinions on Rishi Sunak

‘Can’t really be much worse than Liz’

By now, most people are aware that Liz Truss is out of 10 Downing Street and has been replaced by Rishi Sunak. But who is Rishi Sunak and how do Edinburgh University students feel about the new prime minister?

Rishi Sunak is the fourth Tory politician in a row to get the job as PM without the electorate. Many people are labelling him “the best of a band bunch”. He became the Conservative party leader by default after his rival, Penny Mordaunt, dropped out of the race.

Rishi is British-Indian and practices Hinduism, he has made history by becoming the first non-white prime minister in the United Kingdom. He has also made history as the youngest prime minister in modern history and has been described as the “social media savvy ex-chancellor“.

So what do young people, specifically students at the University of Edinburgh, have to say about Rishi Sunak? I asked students around the Main Library a few questions to gather their opinions and here is what they told me.

@theedinburghtab

Edinburgh Uni students voice their opinions on new UK Prime Minister, Rishi Sunak #politics #ukpolitics #rishisunak #edinburgh #edinburghuniversity

♬ original sound – The Edinburgh Tab

1. ‘I absolutely hate him’

Fair enough.

2. ‘I’m not a fan of Tories… but I like the fact he’s not white’

We respect the honesty.

3. ‘I don’t really have an opinion yet. I still need to decide’

A very pragmatic approach.

4. ‘A lot of the headlines I’ve seen have focused on his background and I do think that if it were a white prime minister, that would not be the case’

Good point!

5. ‘He seems quite short’

Sheesh, let’s not get too political.

6. ‘Can’t really be much worse than Liz’

Famous last words?

7. ‘He kind of seems like a really posh guy’

He would probably fit in at Edinburgh then.

8. ‘In my opinion, I don’t think anybody else could have been better, but what we really need is a general election’

All we want for Christmas is a general election.