Edinburgh Christmas markets and Hogmanay back on for 2022

A new company will run the events this year

Edinburgh’s world-famous Christmas markets and Hogmanay celebrations will go ahead this winter, the city council has confirmed.

The announcement follows years of uncertainty surrounding the events due to the coronavirus pandemic.

A scaled-down version of the Christmas markets opened in 2021, whilst the New Year’s Eve Hogmanay celebrations were cancelled at the last minute due to rising Covid-19 cases last winter.

The City of Edinburgh Council has scrambled to secure a new events contract for the market, after Angels Event Experience Ltd (AEE) pulled out of the plans last month due to a difference of opinion on planning between the organisers and the council.

Unique Assembly, the company originally booked to deliver the Hogmanay festivities only, has teamed up with Assembly Festival to form ‘Unique Assembly’, to deliver the Edinburgh Christmas event too.

AEE will remain as a subcontractor due to the company acquiring a few local traders before the contract fell through.

Rapid negotiations took place between the organisations and the council after the contract was cancelled at the last minute. The new arrangement could be extended for another year if the performance measures are fulfilled.

Original plans for the Edinburgh Christmas 2022 event saw the Royal Mile utilised for festivities, in addition to stands in the well-loved location of East and West Princes Street Gardens. Whilst these arrangements have been streamlined to only involve the traditional Gardens set up, other favourites like the ice rink on George Street will also reappear.

In response to the new contract Council leader Cammy Day, said:

“I’m delighted that we’ve been able to find a solution so quickly, ensuring Edinburgh’s world-famous Christmas celebrations can go ahead this year.

“We will, of course, conduct a full review into why this happened but our absolute priority is to ensure that we provide high-quality festive celebrations for the city – and that these should be delivered in the spirit of the feedback received in our consultation with residents, businesses and stakeholders.

“There’s no questioning the popularity of our Winter Festivals or the benefits they bring to the Capital – the enjoyment and wellbeing of our residents, but also the economic impact for our businesses and the city as a whole.

“Crucially, the new plans will deliver on the key elements of our public consultation, including reduced use of green spaces, more accessible and family-friendly attractions, greater use of local traders and a more even spread around the city centre.

“I have no doubt Unique Assembly will help us make it yet another great festive period for our Capital city.”

The markets will be open between 19 November to 3 January.

Recommended related articles by this writer:

Edinburgh Napier University launches free breakfast scheme for students

Get your boogie on: The Tab Edi’s guide to Edinburgh’s nightlife

• The ultimate Fresher’s guide to all the neighbourhoods of Edinburgh