The ultimate Fresher’s guide to all the neighbourhoods of Edinburgh

Do you know your Newington from your New Town?

Well, the academic year is officially in full swing! As a first year, you’re probably getting to know your flatmates and writing essays on a cocktail of oat milk lattes and ibuprofen, yes, fresher’s flu is the WORST!

With all this new stuff happening, you might not be thinking about life beyond first year. But as time drags on and you find your people, a second year flat will quickly become a hot (and exciting!) topic.

When the time comes, there are a whole lot of neighbourhoods that you can choose to live in. Until then, there are lots of hidden gems dotted across the city that you may not know about yet. So here’s a comprehensive overview of all the hottest Edi student areas, even just to help you get a better idea of the wonderful city around you.

Marchmont

Starting off strong, this is probably the most notorious student neighbourhood in the city. Each summer a swarm of Pollock girlies make their way past The Meadows to this chic and convenient area. Most students here live in the seemingly endless rows of Victorian tenement buildings. In my case, most of the people I know live on or very close to Thirlestane Road, which even has its own Instagram account, iconic.

There’s a selection of cute study spots like RedBox on Spottiswoode Road and Victor Hugo on Melville Terrace, as well as great proximity to The Meadows and the George Square campus. One downside is there is a lack of larger food shops, but supermarkets at Cameron Toll and Morningside are only a short bus ride away, along with the rest of the city!

Beware Of: Lots of ‘yah’s’ and rats in the tenement flats.

Bruntsfield

Unpopular opinion perhaps, but Bruntsfield doesn’t get the appreciation it deserves. It’s everything Marchmont is and more but with absolutely no hype. Similarly to Marchmont, you’ll find a ton of tenement flats, but there’s a little less student influence here I feel. There are more families and a real tight-knit community vibe.

It also has some of the best ‘hidden gem’ restaurants and bars in Edinburgh, Tempo Perso is amazing for Italian and Montpeliers does a banging Margarita (cocktail, not the pizza!). The city centre is only a stone’s throw away and there are many shops within a ten-minute walk where you can get everything you need.

Beware Of: More families in your building for all you party animals.

Newington

Just to the north of the infamous Pollock Halls, and home to student halls like Salisbury Court, Newington is your quintessential student neighbourhood. While it’s perhaps not as tranquil as other areas like Marchmont or Bruntsfield, it has absolutely everything you need.

It’s super handy, just a ten-minute walk to George Square via Nicolson Street and a fifteen-minute bus ride from King’s buildings, for the STEM students among us. It’s also packed full of amenities, which is where Bruntsfield and especially Marchmont are lacking in comparison.

There are plenty of pubs close by like The Pear Tree and The Southsider (where you can enjoy a pint for £2.75 after a long day of lectures and tutorials). It’s also got every shop going; Sainsbury’s, Tesco, Co-Op, the list goes on.

Beware Of: The price of an Uber back from the New Town at 3 am after the club!!

Old Town

My home turf! While it’s not the most common area to live in after first year, staying in the Old Town certainly has its ups and downs. For starters, you’re super close to everything, with Princes Street and George Square both within walking distance, and, like many other areas, a host of shops and amenities nearby (common theme going here!). In many cases, you are literally living in the historic centre of the city, which is quite cool in my opinion.

Another (very studenty) advantage is that you’re right next to several of Edi’s best nightclubs (La Belle, Cabaret Voltaire, and my personal favourite, Subway), but this also comes with lots of noise in the wee hours, so a flat with double glazing is ideal here, even if it is hard to come by!

Beware Of: Many, many tourists and Cowgate past 9 pm tbh

New Town/Stockbridge

At last, we have arrived at what is perhaps the crème de la crème of all Edi student hoods, the New Town and its equally posh neighbour, Stockbridge. I’ve lumped these into one because they’re right next to each other and honestly, I get a little bit confused about where the New Town ends and Stockbridge begins.

In a nutshell, they’ve got everything; shops, artisan bakeries, streets lined with boutique florists and coffee shops, all while being within a reasonable distance to the uni! Each Sunday, there is a cute farmers market as well as an abundance of permanent charity shops.

The catch? It’s notoriously spenny to live here. It’s where the rah-iest of the rah head as the new academic year begins. If you somehow can afford to live here (daddy’s wallet?) then I would definitely recommend it, but for the other 99 per cent of us, I’d recommend coming here for a walk or a thrifting sesh with friends.

Beware Of: The rent prices!!! And local Range Rover mums judging your walk of shame on their morning run (don’t ask)…

If you’ve now got a bit of a better idea of what the different Edi neighbourhoods have to offer, or maybe even have an inkling as to what one matches your vibe, my work here is done! But get out, explore, and have fun discovering the beautiful city which is your new home for the next four years.

Recommended related articles by this writer:

• Edinburgh University students living in converted common rooms due to housing shortage

• Edi Youth Resistance reclaims Gordon Aikman theatre to ‘build communities of resistance’

• I watched ‘Don’t Worry Darling’ so you don’t have to – here’s what it’s really like