The University of Edinburgh has launched a scholarship for students affected by the Russian-Ukrainian conflict

It will offer financial and welfare support to any doctoral student in war-torn regions

The University of Edinburgh has invited Ukrainian doctoral students impacted by the Russian-Ukrainian war to accept a scholarship to aid with their disrupted studies. It is called The University of Edinburgh’s Sanctuary Scholarship.

Though in direct response to the Russian-Ukrainian war, the university has stressed that any international doctoral student that has had their studies impacted by any armed conflict is invited to apply.

It comes as a result of Russia’s ongoing invasion of Ukraine, which began on the 20th of February 2022. Naturally, the war has caused many Ukrainian students a great deal of personal and academic disruption.

The pilot programme invites students to travel to Edinburgh to study permanently or take short trips there to aid their studies. Students will also be offered help and support from the university if they decide to stay in the country where the conflict is happening.

Students eligible to apply for the scholarship much be studying engineering, life sciences, physical sciences or medicine and veterinary subjects.

The amount of money given to students who apply is dependent on the level of demand for the scholarship.

Professor Antony MaciociaDean of Postgraduate Research, College of Science and Engineering, stated that:

“The invasion of Ukraine by Russia has had a devastating impact on students, with many suddenly facing an uncertain future. As a University of Sanctuary, we have a strong history of providing a place of refuge and education for those seeking protection from armed conflict. We hope that the Sanctuary Scholarship will enable doctoral students affected by conflict to achieve their academic goals and feel supported by our community of students and academics here in Edinburgh.”