Applications for The Edinburgh Tab’s two Editors and Social Editor are now open!

Applications close on Monday 4th April

The Edinburgh Tab is read by tens of thousands of students every month – and we’re looking for three enthusiastic and hardworking students to join our editorial team for the next academic year.

We’re recruiting two Editors and one Social Editor, with applications open to any student from any of the four universities in Edinburgh.

You’ll receive training from both the outgoing editors and our paid professional team of journalists at HQ in London to get you up and running in the role too.

Applications are open to both those who write for The Tab and those who haven’t written for us before.

Editor

What does the role involve?

Being a Tab editor is a big job. You’re responsible for editing all of the content we put out – including making sure writers are sticking to the style guide, tweaking headlines so they’re as catchy as can be, and checking picture copyright.

You’ll need to have a sense for what makes a good idea, and be comfortable turning down pitches, or helping writers find a new angle on a piece. You’re the one in charge of breaking the huge stories and juicy gossip on campus – so you’ll need to be on it always and ready to drop everything when something big happens to break it before other publications. You’ll be the kinda person that can seek out a story, knows that its all about who you know not what you know, and is confident talking to everyone and anyone to get the best scoops.

You’ll have to schedule pieces to go out at their allocated time slots on the Facebook page (the goal is three articles every day), and monitor The Edinburgh Tab Instagram and Twitter with the help of the Social Editor. You’ll be in daily contact with your Assistant Editor at HQ, who will be there to guide you through any sticky situations and give you feedback and targets.

The ideal candidate will be a strong writer (who doesn’t need to be edited themselves), a fast worker and a democratic decision-maker under pressure. You’ll also have to be approachable, friendly, and a good face for the team to make sure we continue recruiting and building good relationships with our writers.

Why should you apply? From our current Editors 

“Being Editor of The Edinburgh Tab has been one of the most rewarding and meaningful experience I’ve had in my four years at Edi. There is nothing more exciting than breaking big stories that you know everyone will be talking about on campus, and I love being able to use the platform it gives you to shine a light on important issues. Also, nothing compares to helping new writers grow and write to their best abilities. You’re supported at every step of the way by your co-editor and the fab team at HQ who make sure you’re trained and prepared for whatever the role may throw your way. Through being Editor, I’ve been given so many amazing opportunities – from work experience at HQ to paid freelancing for The Times (yes, The actual bloody Times). And off the back of my time as Editor I’ll be graduating this summer with a grad role at an internationally respected publication. It really has been a life changing experience.” – Sophie

“I was on the fence about applying for editor, as I had only been writing for one year and I was in second year at the time. However, I decided to just go for it, and it was genuinely the best decision I’ve made whilst at university. I’ve met so many amazing people through being editor and made so many friendships that I know will continue past uni. I’ve had so many opportunities to strengthen my writing, as well as learn a lot about the other parts of journalism such as the legal side, collaborations and PR, and social media. It’s been so fun and rewarding getting to work with such an amazing and talented team of writers, and I couldn’t recommend it enough to anyone else considering applying. Just go for it!” – Viola

How do you apply?

Fill out this Google Form by midday on Monday 4th April. You’ll need to answer two questions:

• Why do you think you’d be a good fit for this position? (150-200 words)

• What would you aim to change about The Tab Edinburgh if you were given the role? (provide three things and briefly explain)

Then you’ll need to provide three examples of your favourite bits of published writing and tell us why you’re proud of them (less than 100 words per example)

Social Editor

What does the role involve? 

For this role, you’ll need to have your finger on the pulse of what’s trending and be ready to put together a meme at a minute’s notice.

An integral part will be running The Edinburgh Tab Instagram. You’ll be in charge of producing regular (multiple times a week) content on the feed and stories. You’ll also use the Instagram (especially stories) to promote new articles and liaise with people via DMs. The Editors will also have access to Instagram, but your job will be to run and keep an eye on it. You’ll be responsible for growing and maintaining a following.

This year we’ve also started an Edinburgh Tab Tik Tok. It’ll be your job to make high quality and high performing content – and truly use the account to its full potential.

You’ll also be in charge of reinvigorating and running The Edinburgh Tab Twitter. Like Instagram, you’ll need to produce regular content, promote articles, and engage with other accounts. You’ll also have access to The Edinburgh Tab Facebook. The editors will be in charge of scheduling posts for the most part, but you’ll help out with posting articles or memes if the editors need help.

Why should you apply? From our current Social Editor 

“It wasn’t until Second Year that I became interested in gaining more social media experience. Before my Social Editor position I didn’t have a lot of experience and so assumed I wouldn’t get it! Being Social Editor has been the best position I’ve had so far at uni and for those who love making content or want to gain some amazing experience it’s perfect! It allows you to build up a portfolio of content, make Tik Toks, learn to use software like Canva, Photoshop and more! It’s been so much fun and everyone can bring their own ideas to the table, so even if you don’t think you have enough experience you should absolutely still go for it!” – Ellie

How do you apply? 

Fill out this Google Form by Monday 4th April at midday. To apply you’ll need to:

• Tell us why you think you’d be a good fit for the position (150 to 200 words)

• Provide two memes you think would do well on The Edinburgh Tab’s Instagram right now

• EITHER provide one Tik Tok (yes, fully made and ready to go) you think would do well on the Edinburgh Tab Tik Tok right now OR give us three detailed ideas for Tik Tok for the Edinburgh Tab Tik Tok account (explain each idea in full plus a short description of why you think it would do well)

We’re also always looking for new writers so please contact Sophie Butcher or Viola Baker if you’re interested in getting started as a writer.