Breaking: 10 days of strike action at Edinburgh Uni will take place in February

The industrial action will begin on 14th February

10 days of staff strike action will take place at Edinburgh University in February, over issues of pension cuts, pay and working conditions.

The University and College Union (UCU) has said there will be seven full days of industrial action from Monday 14th to Tuesday 22nd February, followed by three days from Monday 28th February to Wednesday 2nd March.

Participating staff members will not be giving their regular classes or lectures on those dates, and these will not be rescheduled for a later date. However, not all staff are UCU members so some classes and lectures will still take place as normal.

In an email sent out to all Edinburgh Uni students today, Vice-Principal Colm Harmon wrote: “As far as the University is concerned, we are disappointed that action is taking place and we had hoped that the sector and UCU could resolve the dispute without the need for further industrial action.

“We have a number of measures in place to reduce the impact on our students, and to mitigate the impact of disruption to your learning and teaching, assessment, progression and student experience, whilst maintaining academic standards.

“Some of you may have experienced strike action at the University before, but for others it will be a very new experience. In particular, students joining us from outside of the UK may not be as aware of the implications of such actions. A key thing to stress to you all is that, while a number of staff across the University will take part in this action, not all staff will be striking or taking part in Action Short of a Strike and you should assume that your classes are happening unless communicated to you directly.

“The University will continue to operate as usual although disruption may be unavoidable and may happen at short notice, but we will aim to keep disruption to you to a minimum whenever possible. We are also aware that some of you will wish to support the strike action and this is, of course, your right.”

More information on the strikes can be found here.

Recommended related articles by this writer:

• Edi Uni spent over £230k on the Kings Spiegeltent, which was only open for 46 days

Edinburgh and Heriot-Watt students react to the UCU strikes

Edi VP describes ‘larger than expected surplus’ from lecturers’ pensions as ‘fantastic news’