Edinburgh Uni ranked top in the UK for Medicine by The Guardian

Edinburgh was ranked 12th best UK university overall

The Guardian has released their 2022 UK university rankings, with Edinburgh University ranking first in the UK for both Medicine and Veterinary Medicine.

Edinburgh placed 12th in the UK overall, an improvement of one place from 2021 and 13 places from 2020.

Alongside high ranks in Medicine and Vet Med, Edinburgh Uni also ranked second for Anatomy and Physiology, and 13th for Biosciences.

Unsurprisingly, Oxford and Cambridge took first and second place in the overall table, followed by St Andrews, LSE and Durham making up the top 5.

This is a very different order to the Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2022, in which Edinburgh placed 30th in the world, while St Andrews didn’t even make the top 200.

Other universities to make The Guardian’s top 10 were Warwick, Imperial, Bath, UCL and Loughborough.

Edinburgh wasn’t even the second best Scottish university in the table, as it was narrowly beaten by Glasgow who took 11th place.

The Guardian looks at student satisfaction, staff numbers, spending and career prospects to give each university a score out of 100. While Edinburgh’s overall score was 79.3, the student satisfaction scores were noticeably lower than some of the higher ranking universities such as St Andrews and Loughborough.

Edinburgh received a score of just 56 for whether students are satisfied with feedback, compared to St Andrews receiving 79.6. The score for whether students are satisfied with their course was also considerably lower than other universities, at 74.1.

The full table and scores can be found here.

Recommended related articles by this writer:

Edinburgh University ranked best Scottish and sixth best UK university in Times Higher world rankings

• In-person teaching at Edinburgh Uni will be capped at 50 people in Semester One

• Edinburgh University ranked 6th lowest in UK for student satisfaction