Meet the Edinburgh students who have competed in the Tokyo Olympics

Who they are, what they study, and how they have done so far in Tokyo?

Ever felt like an underachiever, or that you were struggling to complete your degree, let alone maintain a social life and extra curricular activities?

Well, prepare to feel thoroughly unsuccessful and worthless, because these students have managed to study and train to be Olympic athletes at the same time!

These five Edi students have all had one of the greatest honours in sport: to represent Team GB at an Olympic Games. They should all be incredibly proud of themselves for not just representing their country, but representing Edi too.

So, meet the University of Edinburgh student Olympians. Find out who they are, what they study, and how well they have done so far in Tokyo.

Grace Reid

First up is Grace Reid, an Applied Sport Science student and diver, who competes in the Three Metre Springboard and Three Metre Synchronised Springboard with her partner, Kat Torrance.

Grace previously attended the Rio 2016 Olympics and became the European Champion in 2018, as well as being the first woman ever to win a gold in diving for Scotland at the Commonwealth games – a truly impressive moment.

When she’s not in (and out) of the pool, Grace loves to travel, and post cute pictures with her friend and fellow diver, Tom Daley – showing that she’s not only more talented than the rest of us, but also more cool.

Sadly, Grace did not make it to the semi-finals of the Individual Three Metre Springboard event. But her and partner Kat Torrance did place sixth in the Synchronised Three Metre Springboard.

Whilst there might not have been any medals for her, that’s still a huge achievement and Grace should be incredibly proud of herself.

Seonaid McIntosh

Up next is Seonaid McIntosh – an MSc Performance Psychology student – who became the World Champion at the 2018 ISSF World Shooting Championships in the 50m Prone Rifle event, and made her Olympic debut this year in Tokyo.

Seonaid is not only the daughter of two Commonwealth medallists (an Edinburgh alumni – you decide which is more impressive), but also has an older sister who is an Olympic shooter too. I bet playing Monopoly with their family is fun at Christmas.

Although she did not make it to the finals of either the 10m or 50m events, she is still Britain’s most successful female rifle shooter of all time (just a heads up to any bouncer who doesn’t let her into Big Cheese – not worth it mate…).

Lucy Glover

Another student who will make you feel lazy and inferior is Lucy Glover, a Psychology student who competed in Tokyo as part of Team GB’s women’s quadruple sculls crew rowing.

Lucy has previously won a silver medal in the European Championships, and – judging by her Instagram – is no stranger to the debatably Olympic task of climbing Arthur’s Seat.

Lucy’s favourite nights out in Edi are WhyNot and Big Cheese (a woman of good taste, clearly), with some of her favourite daytime activities including visiting foodie spots around the city such as Hula, in Grassmarket.

Although tipped for a medal, Lucy and her team ultimately finished seventh after a disappointing Olympics for Team GB rowers more generally.

Lisa Thomson

Sports Science student Lisa Thomson is another athlete for whom the grind never stops, after being named as a reserve for Team GB’s Women’s Rugby Sevens squad.

Lisa also captained for the Scotland women’s Rugby Union team from 2018-19, and was vice-captain for the 2021 Women’s Six Nations Championship.

More importantly, she was part of an Edinburgh Varsity team that beat St Andrews in 2015 – and was named player of the match! She then took a break from her studies to play rugby professionally before recently returning to Edinburgh to complete her degree.

During lockdown she also binged season 3 of Ozark, so is clearly a woman of taste, as well as talent.

Overall, Team GB won a Bronze Medal – with Lisa contributing a try that secured their place in the quarter finals earlier in the tournament.

Lucy Hope

Our last student that will remind us of our painful mediocrity is Lucy Hope, and Accounting and Business student who is also now an Olympic swimmer.

Lucy has previously won four gold medals at the European Swimming Championships, and competed in Tokyo as part of the women’s 4x100m freestyle relay team. The team broke two GB records this event but sadly finished fifth.

Check out Lucy’s insta for updates on the games, as well as some very Pinterest-worthy pictures of Edinburgh throughout the year.

Cover image credits: @lucy_gloverx

Related articles recommended by this writer

• Wine corks, bread rolls, and indecisive customers: The diary of a waitress

• Three initiatives to help you feel safer getting home alone at night in Edinburgh

• I went to St. James Quarter and here’s what I discovered