Edinburgh Uni’s Main Library will be open despite lockdown

Borrowing books will not be permitted

Edinburgh University’s main library is opening back up with regular semester hours today despite nation-wide stay at home orders.

The library will be open for pre-booked study only, and the browsing and borrowing of books will not be allowed.

The university has said they are developing a scan and deliver system to provide access to some of their print collection while these rules are in place.

The news comes two days after Nicola Sturgeon announced a strict stay at home order for the whole of Scotland.

Edinburgh University on a whole has yet to make a comment on the status of in-person classes and the return of students to campus.

A spokesperson for the university told The Tab Edinburgh in a statement: “The University is working through the implications of the most recent Scottish Government announcement regarding Covid-19.

“The safety of our University community remains our top priority, and students and staff will be updated as soon as possible with regards to teaching and assessment arrangements.”

More information on university study spaces can be found here.

Related articles recommended by this writer:

Scotland to enter stay at home orders and a March-like lockdown

Edinburgh University could have more staff strikes next semester

Edi students staying in uni halls will not have to pay January rent