Hundreds gathered at Scottish parliament to demonstrate against Polish abortion ban

“There is no place for a barbaric law and for fanatic’s cruel attack on our bodies, health, and life”

Hundreds of people gathered outside Scottish Parliament in Edinburgh on Thursday night to protest Poland’s most recent strict abortion ban.

The new restrictions to abortion in Poland ban almost all abortions with exceptions for only rape, incest, or the risk of the mother’s health.

The Facebook event for the demonstration said: “There is no place for a barbaric law and for fanatic’s cruel attack on our bodies, health, and life.

“Edinburgh and all of Scotland takes a strong stand against fundamentalism and politically motivated aggression towards people with uteri.

“Poles need our support in their fight for basic human rights. Join us on Thursday in front of the Scottish parliament to demand the Scottish parliament to support Polish women.

“We will also be introducing a motion declaring Scottish opposition to the inhumane treatment of women in Poland.”

Signs said things like: “I don’t wanna change my status from international student to refugee” and “my body, my choice.”

Nearly 2,000 people responded that they were interested in the event and several hundred went.

Cover photo credit: @JowitaAThor on Twitter 

Related articles recommended by this writer:

Edinburgh restaurants likely to open next week with continued ban on alcohol

Return of Scottish students after Christmas ‘could be staggered’ says Education Secretary

Borat comes to Scotland in strange Edinburgh Castle projection