Edinburgh Uni is increasing security in student halls this Halloween

They’ll be “undertaking regular patrol”

Edinburgh University has announced that there will be security presence at a number of student halls around Edinburgh this weekend to discourage Halloween parties.

The number of COVID-19 cases is on the rise in Scotland, and with this, the university is anxious to prevent the spread of the virus this weekend.

An email sent by the Deputy Secretary Gavin Douglas says: “We will be increasing the number of security staff on doors, along with community support officers in order to ensure that only those who stay in particular accommodation blocks are able to access them.”

This means that Halloween revellers planning to party with people outside their accommodation might find it difficult to do so.

Movement will be monitored and restricted within these student accommodation sites.

According to another email sent by Douglas, there were 301 positive cases of COVID-19 earlier this month on October 9th.

The virus has since moved from the student population into the general city population.

These extra measures have been put in place to warn students of the university’s wish to prevent gatherings that break government guidelines.

Related articles recommended by this writer:

Hundreds gathered at Scottish parliament to demonstrate against Polish abortion ban

Edinburgh restaurants likely to open next week with continued ban on alcohol

Major Scottish universities failed to reduce their halls capacity despite Covid risk