Edinburgh restaurants likely to open next week with continued ban on alcohol

Edinburgh is likely to enter level three in the new system

Nicola Sturgeon announced in Parliament today that Edinburgh is likely to be able to open hospitality venues next week with a continued ban on alcohol sales as it enters the new tiered system at level three.

Previously, all licensed premises in the central belt had to close completely, but under the new tier system, all hospitality venues will be able to open provided they don’t serve alcohol.

Sturgeon said those currently under stricter restrictions such as Edinburgh and the central belt will likely enter the new tiered system at level three, but it won’t be confirmed until later this week.

Similar rules will apply in which venues must close by six pm and only six people from two households may meet in such venues.

The new tier system of restrictions in Scotland comes into place on the second of November.

The benefit of the new tier system is the avoidance of a one size fits all approach to restrictions.

Because messages will become more varied and complex, Scotland is launching a new post code checking system.

Sturgeon said today that while the growth of new cases is slowing, Scotland is only 400 hospitalisations short of its April peak.

With this new system in place, the First Minister hopes to see more of a return to normality in Scotland by Christmas.

Related articles recommended by this writer:

Return of Scottish students after Christmas ‘could be staggered’ says Education Secretary

Pubs and restaurants to remain shut for another week Nicola confirms

Major Scottish universities failed to reduce their halls capacity despite Covid risk