FLY Open Air 2021 is happening, with potentially major social distancing

“Surely this is better than nothing at all”

Popular Edinburgh based music festival ‘FLY Open Air’ has just released information detailing how they will be handling their 2021 weekend event at Hopetoun House next May.

The event organisers took to their Instagram, informing attendees of a contingency plan, should the event not be able to run as normal due to Covid-19.

“After positive discussions with West Lothian Council & Police Scotland we have created a PLAN B to allow us to drink, dance and listen to music if social distancing is still in place by then.”

The post does not elaborate further on just what this ‘Plan B’ will consist of, however the accompanying image on the instagram post shows an approximation of FLY’s intentions, groups of attendees dancing, spaced across the grounds in socially distant groups.

View this post on Instagram

🚨PLAN B – PLEASE READ🚨 To be clear we all hope by May that things will return to normal. That we can dance freely but another year where music is banned is not something we can live with… After positive discussions with West Lothian Council & Police Scotland we have created a PLAN B to allow us to drink, dance and listen to music if social distancing is still in place by then. Did you know that Scotland was the only country in the world that banned background music? Open Air events however can have music playing so let’s get back to the dance floor. Let’s all do our best to stick to the rules this winter and try eradicate this virus but if COVID-19 does still want to ruin our social lives then let’s dance in a safe, secure and socially distanced manner here – surely this is better than nothing at all 💜 NB All tickets purchased for our shows come with a Ticket Promise so you can have peace of mind when purchasing. If we have to postpone due to coronavirus your tickets will be automatically transferred to our new dates or you can apply for a full face value refund within 14 days of the postponement 👊🏻 Tickets are now on sale for May 2021 and you can secure your ticket by paying £20 now & the rest in March 2021 via Resident Advisor or £10 + BF followed by £15 per month instalments on Skiddle. #StaySafe #StayFLY #LetsDance

A post shared by FLY Open Air (@openairfly) on

The post’s text goes on to explain open air events are permitted to play music, despite current restrictions in Scotland banning bars and restaurants from playing music.

Followed by the organisers’ encouragement for people to stick to the governments regulations regarding Covid-19 this winter, stating that although this is not the ideal scenario for the event, the devised contingency plan is “surely better than nothing at all”.

Tickets for FLY Open Air can be found on the event’s website.

Related articles recommended by this writer:

• Usher Hall to open as COVID-19 testing centre

• Students to be banned from pubs and restaurants in Scotland this weekend

• It’s now illegal for Scottish students to see their own families